Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!! >

SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!

Old 05-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!

I seen on a couple posts,That some of you are taking out birds, At30 +YARDS!!
Just curious what shells you are using? Hevi-shot,winchester xtended range shells or just copper plated lead shot?
One more question does#6copper plated shot have enough punch to penetrate at that kind of yardage?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!

30 yards is the average range that most turkey hunters take the shot.

When a hunter plans on patterning his or her shotgun, they should pattern it at 30 yards. Once you have found the load and choke combo , then try at the 20 and 40 yards to see if the gun is going to make the shots and then you know what to expect...BT
Old 05-10-2006, 08:28 PM

30 yrds should be a chip shot for a 12 ga. I shot a bird at 65 yrds with a Benelli Nova w/ a pure gold choke using nitro 3" #5s! This was not done on purpose though, I got a little trigger happy not knowing he was that far and couldn't wait. Im sure there was some luck involved, But my comfortable zonestops atabout 45-50 yrds. Its nice to get one in at about 25 - 30 yrds but i don't mind shooting at about 50 yrds if necessary. Btw, I have a 28" barrel and the choke adds about another 2 inches. Its like moving a cannon around in the woods but it will reach out andslam a bird.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was a little uncomfortable taking a shot at 45 last saturday, but it was a clear shot, it was a now or probably never situation, and everything fell into place... one cluck on the mouth call, neck stretched out to look, crosshairs right on, BAM. He went down. Copper plated 3" #5s.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

30 yards is the average range that most turkey hunters take the shot.

When a hunter plans on patterning his or her shotgun, they should pattern it at 30 yards. Once you have found the load and choke combo , then try at the 20 and 40 yards to see if the gun is going to make the shots and then you know what to expect...BT
A man who has gone turkey hunting more than once!!I did notice you said"Most turkey hunters"
Old 05-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your right, my 1st tom (1 week ago ) was at 40 yrds. I finished my celibratory smoke andhe was still twitching, next thing I knowhe was flopping away across the field,I thought I was waiting forhim to expire only to have to finish it at WAY too close range.
I don't regret the shot because I got my bird, but, I'm sure I'll wait for him to come in abit more next time.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

The choke is the key. I have 2 different guns I use for turkeys.

#1 is a NEF handi rifle in a 12 guage 3.5 inch mag turkey barrel, with a extra full choke tube. I am shooting Remington 3.5 inch mag 5 shot out of this one. This one will shoot out to 60-70 yards and keep the bb's in a 8-10 inch circle at this range no problem but this one does kick like a mule and not reccomended for any small person.

#2is a Rem 870 20 guage with a super full undertaker choke tube 3 inch mag. Shooting Winchester 3 inch / size 5 shot shells. This will shoot out to 40-50 yards easily and pattern more than 10 bb's in a 8-10 inch circle at this range.

I have not had to run after a bird yet. Thay have all been pretty dead by the time I get them. If anything just break their neck when you get to them to make sure.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

30yds is not a long shot for a 12ga if you got a good load and choke combo......at 30yds i put 190 hevi shot 6s on a 10x10 piece of paper....i think thats bad news for any tureky.........and thats not even a GOOD pattern compared to a nitro/rhino pattern.........

tschaef....since you new to turkey hunting you might not know......once you shoot you gota get on the bird QUICK....like the guys you see RUNNING on tv...you gota keep your head and be safe...no need to ACTUALLY run...but shoot..stand up and walk to the bird...i usually straddle them till the quit flopping if they are flopping...watch out for the spurs......someone had pics of GASHES in their hands from grabbing spurs..and if needed grab its neck......dont shoot it again unless its actually running or something!my first bird flopped like he!! becuase i barely hit it....i KNOW i pulled the shot...the bird walked in the direction i pulled...the edge of the pattern hit him..he was down..but not good...i ran and got on him and strangled him......good luck....by all means neccessary if you gota shot him again do it.....but theres other ways to do it.....just thought id let you know since your new to turkey hunting
Old 05-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have my gun patterned to where I know I can kill a bird at 50 yards every time if I have to. Now that said, I wont shoot past 40 unless it is absolutely neccessary, but at 30 yards, I can wreck the birds with about 30 pellets in the head/neck.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster68

#2 is a Rem 870 20 guage with a super full undertaker choke tube 3 inch mag. Shooting Winchester 3 inch / size 5 shot shells. This will shoot out to 40-50 yards easily and pattern more than 10 bb's in a 8-10 inch circle at this range.

I have not had to run after a bird yet. Thay have all been pretty dead by the time I get them. If anything just break their neck when you get to them to make sure.

Just my 2 cents.
I hope it's a lot more than 10 hits in an 8-10" circle. Because that's just not enough to get the job reliably done. My daughters 870 20 gauge is getting 15+ bone hits and a nice even pattern at 40 yards with Rem hevishot#6 and a Primos tightwad choke. Although I wouldn't push it too much further out than that.

Quick Reply: SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.