HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HOW WAS THE NY OPENER!!
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 08:14 PM
old longbeards

Default RE: HOW WAS THE NY OPENER!!

opening day was awesome here in Central New York...had eight gobblers all cuttin off my calls but only two ever showed up....had my old hunting buddy with me for his turkey first cause he had only the opener off at work...he made a great shot and came home with his trophy tom...the pics are on his camera so i didnt post it...but, the bird weighed twenty lbs. even and sported a ten and a half inch beard with inch hooks....real nice bird!!...was too bad he shot so many tail feathers off tho...[&:]...when will he ever learn?...lol...he's done that to a few gobblers...lol...
Had a funny happen to me too that opening day...called in two hens with clucks, yelps, and cutting...they ran into the dekes just like we've all seen jakes do on the hunting videos...and proceed to kick the tar outa my alert hen deke...(I think I sorta learned something about hen turkeys too, they'll leave the feeding hen alone...maybe looked a little more subordinate to the real hens than the alert deke...which might have looked like a dominant hen, especially when i would cutt right back at them)...Bill and i just chuckled at the sight...had two coyotes come in to check out the dekes too...i didnt get to shoot....but all in all....I had a great time...