HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 AM
WKP Todd
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Range practice is very important, shooting good groups, ect... First and foremost though, you need to get yourself into as much of a "hunting mode" type of practicing as possible. I don't get too hung up on accuracy in the practice range, I concentrate on concentrating, relaxing, and putting the arrow where I aim, not how many arrows I can wreck in a session. Elevated shooting at deer target's at a variety of unknown distances is the best thing I ever started doing. If you hunt from a stand, why would you practice from the ground? Well, because it's less work is probably the most common answer. I hear you, but, how bad do you want it?

I shoot with a couple of guys who are excellent archers, way better than myself. They both missed deer last year, and neither could explain why. Just excitement, and rushing the shot I guess (and these guys have been hunting longer than I have)? I on the other-hand continued my season without a miss and 3 deadly shot's, as I've done for like the last 7 or 8 seasons.

Range is for practice, hunting is the real deal! Are you ready?