HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I need some help
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2002, 10:16 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need some help

I agree with the advice of the others as well. Especially consider upgrading natural browse of the area. I say this because, as time goes by, the land will have less and less browse for the deer as the woods mature. Your father-in-law to be, may already be selectively logging - which will help.

You can do alot by fertlizing existing, preferred browse - its cheap and effective. Obviously a food plot would be great - and should be in your plan at some time.

As far as a plan goes, you should talk extensively with your soon to be father-in-law first, and any brothers, or other family members before you get too gung ho. I don't say that to discourage you, only to warn you that, habitat improvement and changes in hunter harvest do not come easy in most areas. When I proposed our plan 5 years ago, 3 of our long time hunting partners opted out - and one brother opted not to sign on. We lost 150 acres of good hunting land as the group went on their own - not willing to change the way they hunt. (3 brothers split the farm when my grandfather died). We ended up managing about 200 acres with 4 main members, and a few minor members.

Anyway, just approach the subject lightly if you can. Then put together a management plan for the property with everyone's approval.

As far as seeing big bucks, and less does - your on the right track - but also keep in mind that 250 acres is about 1/4 of a bucks home range most of the year. That will mean that initially, you will have to keep your harvest standards relavent to the situation. On our 200 acres, our goal is to provide as many 2-1/2 year old bucks as possible, with the occaisional 3-1/2 yr old bonus. Once you realize that there are limitations, you can enjoy hunting a little more - and hunt for a class of buck that is not completely out of reach for you. As the habitat is improved, your goals may change as well.

Good luck, post back - its good to see your looking at your situation.