Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I need some help

Old 11-01-2002, 02:46 PM

Default I need some help

First let me explain my situation. I have access to my soon to be father-in-laws land and the adjoining properties...roughly 250 acres in all. I have hunted there for the past two seasons and the place is loaded with wildlife....lots of deer, piles of turkeys a few bears, grouse etc.

In all the time I have hunted the property (two deer seasons, two spring gobbler) and all of the scouting, I have only seen 1 nice-sized buck...all the rest are small 6 pts., fork-horns and spikes.

During bow season, there is only myself and three others hunting the area.....rifle season, tresspassers come from all over and follow the 'if its brown, its down' school of thought. They pay no mind to the posted signs...and there is only one CO in the large county, so calling 'to tell' doesn't really work either.

I have been trying to do my part by taking, over the last two seasons, quite a few does and an old beat-up 6pt...but feel like there is something more I can do. I still have one more archery tag to fill this year and was hoping to find a nice buck...but have kind of lost hope...I've been out everyday of the season and have only seen small ones. I think I am going to bite the bullet and invest in the future by taking another doe with my last tag....I passed on three this morning and in hindsight, probably should have lowered the boom on them.

There are large fields which are used for hay and alot of great edge and woodlot habitat with old logging roads interspersed. I am thinking of trying to find some way to create small food plots througout the property. My problem with that is that I have no equipment other than my own man-power to do any type of cultivation...brush clearing etc. There is an old overgrown field that looks like was at one time a crabapple orchard that is in a prime spot...but would require some serious labor to clear the brush (multiflora rose and just 'junk' weeds).

I know I am rambling on here...but am wondering what some of you with experience in this area would advise. Is there some type of high protein food source that could be planted to compete with some of the junk vegitation?????? Would going in this winter and trying to mow some of the junk down work? What about planting some clover in the overgrown logging roads?

Again...sorry for rambling...just kinda typing and thinking in frustration I guess.....

Thanks

Edited by - springgobbler on 11/01/2002 15:59:28
Old 11-01-2002, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need some help

You may be rambling but you're only scrathing the surface for a full plan. You must have the 3 basics: food, cover and water. After that it's evaluating the positive points that the property already has (like the crabapples),where the deer runs are, where the bedding areas are, what is planted on neighbours properties? If you bushhog the roses and then spray the new growth in the spring it'll help free up the apples. You'll need to rejuvenate them by trimming them. You'll probably want to plant more apples, persimmons, oaks. Depending on what the neigbours have planted you may want to plant corn or soyabeans (difficult without equipment) or a legume forage field (clover, alfalfa, trefoil) or grains (oats, wheat, rape, barley, rye). These are easier as you can spray them present vegetation and then plant without cultivating.

You may want to invest in pines, spruce, cedars to create cover and funnels for the deer. Shrubs can also be put to good use.

It sounds like you're young so you've got a good 50 years to get everything in order. Read the deer food section on Huntingnet.com.
Get an aerial photo of the property and start marking what's growing on it. Mark the deer trails on it. Plan it out, take your time and try to learn from all the mistakes that others have made so you don't have to repeat them.

Enjoy it because it can give you as much pleasure as the deer hunting itself.

Dan O.

Edited by - dan o. on 11/05/2002 19:33:18
Old 11-05-2002, 10:57 AM

Great Advice, one thing I would like to add is have plenty of patience. I'm working on 1100 acre's and have been for 7 years. It is not going be a short term project. This will take several years before you see any results, but trust me the work is worth it.

Good Luck,

Searching
Old 11-05-2002, 08:28 PM

Dan-
I appreciate your input....I have started listing all of the pluses, minuses and designated areas.

I have the three basics well covered with lots of great thickets, hardwood mast (when producing) dogwoods, blackberries....plenty of water too, one big creek two small ones, several ponds.

I think I will try to come up with a plan and post it for a critique. I really have no experience or background in these things, so will certainly need some direction.

Again..appreciate it.

Pat in WV
Old 11-05-2002, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the advice of the others as well. Especially consider upgrading natural browse of the area. I say this because, as time goes by, the land will have less and less browse for the deer as the woods mature. Your father-in-law to be, may already be selectively logging - which will help.

You can do alot by fertlizing existing, preferred browse - its cheap and effective. Obviously a food plot would be great - and should be in your plan at some time.

As far as a plan goes, you should talk extensively with your soon to be father-in-law first, and any brothers, or other family members before you get too gung ho. I don't say that to discourage you, only to warn you that, habitat improvement and changes in hunter harvest do not come easy in most areas. When I proposed our plan 5 years ago, 3 of our long time hunting partners opted out - and one brother opted not to sign on. We lost 150 acres of good hunting land as the group went on their own - not willing to change the way they hunt. (3 brothers split the farm when my grandfather died). We ended up managing about 200 acres with 4 main members, and a few minor members.

Anyway, just approach the subject lightly if you can. Then put together a management plan for the property with everyone's approval.

As far as seeing big bucks, and less does - your on the right track - but also keep in mind that 250 acres is about 1/4 of a bucks home range most of the year. That will mean that initially, you will have to keep your harvest standards relavent to the situation. On our 200 acres, our goal is to provide as many 2-1/2 year old bucks as possible, with the occaisional 3-1/2 yr old bonus. Once you realize that there are limitations, you can enjoy hunting a little more - and hunt for a class of buck that is not completely out of reach for you. As the habitat is improved, your goals may change as well.

Good luck, post back - its good to see your looking at your situation.

Old 11-17-2002, 08:44 AM

I am still trying to layout and think through my plan in terms of the land, but I got the whole thing started on Friday by taking another doe out of the herd...it's a start.

I posted the story and a pic on the bowhunting forum for those that are interested.
http://forum.hunting.net/bbs/topic.a...99&FORUM_ID=19

Thanks for your insight...it is appreciated.

Pat in WV
Old 11-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Work the areas near the wood lines out to about 30 yards. Do soil samples and get back to us with your findings. hay would be indicative of a lighter soil. You will want to lime to about a 7.0 and now is the time to get started...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 11-21-2002, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

springgobler,
It will take time before you see results, maybe upwards of five years or more. I would set up a sanctuary for the deer and not touch that area so that the deer have a safe haven to rest in. The bucks will soon stay there more and in effect be protected. In regards to the trespassers. I would take a back tag number(if you have them in your state) and report them to the DNR(CO). Every time you do at least they are aware that there is a problem and will maybe hang out closer to your property to watch for that sort of thing. It sounds like you've got a good start so just keep at it, it will pay off.