HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good Start on Food Plot, I think? (pics)
Old 04-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default Good Start on Food Plot, I think? (pics)

The weed killing spray has been done. I recently purchased a ATV disc why I was waiting on the grasses and weeds to die off. Thursday I went in and had a chance to test the new plow. I'm a little disappointed in the plow but I think it comes down to how hard the ground has been lately because of the lack of rain as well as the years of growth in this particular field. Some of you might remember the before picture from my treestand in my journals as well as in the forums in thread like "pictures from your treestand. Anyway, here's a view from last fall.

I took about a 1/4 acre out in front of this stand location and sprayed if off and like I mentioned above, I started plowing. Here's a picture as it is now.

Another:

Sunday I intend on going back in and giving the plow a go again. I've built a small box to hold a bag full of dirt to add weight to the plow. I feel the plow needs weight as it didn't dig in like I thought it would. I'll post on how that turned out and perhaps add more pics. Our turkey season doesn't start until next Saturday so I have some time on my hands. There are no turkeys where I am building this food plot.

I know after I get this plowed up real nice I'm going to add necessary lime, then it's all about adding the seeds and praying for the necessary weather to help me out.

I have a mixture of seeds including brassica's, multiple strains of clover, turnips, rape, a bag of Biologic and more.

What else should I know? This is my first attempt and including the plow I'm looking at around $650 plus my time and of course gas. Am I on the right track?