HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - never hunted
Thread: never hunted
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
spuddog
Fork Horn

Default RE: never hunted

All great advice so far. I would only add that if you can't buddy up with a mentor somehow then take a couple of seasons to learn and don't be in a rush. 1. Pick your rifle and start practicing. Get as much range time as possible. 2. Spend as much time in the woods as possible practicing the skills you need; orienteering, camping, hiking, stalking & tracking. Take a big stick, leaving the gun at home and envision what you'd have to do. As you start preparing, making an effort and getting out where other hunters are you're bound to run into someone that will be willing to show you the ropes.

Above all, get the hunter education class (you might even find a mentor there) the others have spoken of and be patient. I went for deer for the first time this last season (I'm 37 and have been wanting to go all my life, but never had the opportunity). I'm not inexperienced in the woods or with fire arms, but I found that I make a lot of fundamental mistakes that could have been serious. I wish I would have practiced and done a "dry run" or two like I mentioned above.

Spud (originally from Idaho, can you tell)