HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need some good NW Colorado elk advice,pleeeez
Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
captain backstrap

Default Need some good NW Colorado elk advice,pleeeez

I'm planning an archery elk hunt this fall in gmu 22, piceance creek area, Rio Blancocounty. It's on approx. 20,000 acres of private land, 7000 to 7800 ft, the third week of September. I've also applied for a mule deer tag, we'll see how that goes.

Does anybody have any info, advice, etc???????? I have gotten
conflicting info so far on deer and elk numbers in this area.

I've talked to a couple of people that live/hunt this area and one says you might not see an elk and a good bull would be a 4x4,if you see it. The other says I'll see 40-50 elk per day and some 300" + bulls are common. One story sounds dreadful and the other sounds too good to be true.
Mostly I'm wondering what a hard working hunter might expect to see in this area in 5-7 days of hard bowhunting. Also ,what caliber of bull would be considered a nice shooter?I am hoping to maybe see some 270" or more but a spike might be a shooter for all I know.I really don't know if theres any 270"+ out there in this area.

Just hoping some of you guys that know that part of the statecould give me an idea of what to expect on seeing deer and elk.
Also, I've checked out theDNR stats, but I don't know if there are hot spots or hot times that are different in gmu 22, or , is the huntingpretty consistent throughout the unit,throughout September??

If you can offer ANY info, I would appreciate it greatly!!!!!!!
Remember, this is archery, third week of September.

Thanks!

- cap