Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need some good NW Colorado elk advice,pleeeez >

Need some good NW Colorado elk advice,pleeeez

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need some good NW Colorado elk advice,pleeeez

Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Need some good NW Colorado elk advice,pleeeez

I'm planning an archery elk hunt this fall in gmu 22, piceance creek area, Rio Blancocounty. It's on approx. 20,000 acres of private land, 7000 to 7800 ft, the third week of September. I've also applied for a mule deer tag, we'll see how that goes.

Does anybody have any info, advice, etc???????? I have gotten
conflicting info so far on deer and elk numbers in this area.

I've talked to a couple of people that live/hunt this area and one says you might not see an elk and a good bull would be a 4x4,if you see it. The other says I'll see 40-50 elk per day and some 300" + bulls are common. One story sounds dreadful and the other sounds too good to be true.
Mostly I'm wondering what a hard working hunter might expect to see in this area in 5-7 days of hard bowhunting. Also ,what caliber of bull would be considered a nice shooter?I am hoping to maybe see some 270" or more but a spike might be a shooter for all I know.I really don't know if theres any 270"+ out there in this area.

Just hoping some of you guys that know that part of the statecould give me an idea of what to expect on seeing deer and elk.
Also, I've checked out theDNR stats, but I don't know if there are hot spots or hot times that are different in gmu 22, or , is the huntingpretty consistent throughout the unit,throughout September??

If you can offer ANY info, I would appreciate it greatly!!!!!!!
Remember, this is archery, third week of September.

Thanks!

- cap
Old 04-20-2006, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Need some good NW Colorado elk advice,pleeeez

Don't shoot the spike, that would be illegal as Unit 22 is 4 points or better on 1 side or 1 5" eye guard as I understand it.

As far as quality of the hunting, it is a big area. I am sure some spots have loads of elk and there are other areas you could hunt a month and not see a single elk. Not sure what your particular ranch wil be like though. As far as lots of 300" elk running around, I'd tend to dismiss that rumor. There may be a few 300" elk in an area, but they don't get to that size for being stupid in an OTC area of CO. Since you are hunting a single piece, 20,000 acre ranch, it sounds like your best bet would be to talk with the owners and managers of that piece of land.

I'll be there a few weeks before you in the same unit. If I were you I'd ask to tag along with the guy who says he sees 40 to 50 elk a day with common 300"'s around.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:57 PM

this might not be a good sight for you know but am sure you could use it in the future i thought it was cool
http://www.huntodds.com/
Old 05-01-2006, 01:26 PM

ive hunted area 23 just east of 22 for 10 seasons now. please keep in mind that im totaly unfamiliar with the area you are considering; but i do know it's of a lower elevation than my area to the east, and as such may experience less elk during bow season because of the warm weather and elk still remaining at higher elevation. (i could be wrong) but thats my knee-jerk reaction.

early
Old 05-07-2006, 01:31 PM

early,
that is some interesting info.. The stats on the dnr's website show unit 22 to be at 42 % success rate for bowhunters for 2005. These are pretty good odds aren't they??

I don't know of a place that breaks that down by week , but I'm wondering, do you guys think most of that success was toward the end of archery season?

The success rate in unit 23 was 24 % , according to their website.

It's enough info to get me confused. Just wished it all made sense.

Somebody help me!

-cap

Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 PM

any thing i might say about that would be blind speculation. ive hunted area 23 for 10years and got three elk. its hit or miss seein em sometimes. success ratios can be misleading; but if the place yer goin is situated along a prime spot maybe its realy good. i know there's alotta elk around that part a the state. my Dad got one ALMOST every year; but NOT every year in area 23. if it's not a huge sacrafice ta do it maybe give it a try. wish i could help more but the place i hunt is realy all i know about. and i do know its a higher in elevation than area 22...

early