HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trapping help, please!!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 12:04 PM
jhoffman

Default RE: Trapping help, please!!

Look in some good trapping books on how to make a dirt hole set that is going to be your best bet on set type. you should only need one trap for a dirt hole set and make sure you use the correct trap size for the animal you are targetting.

The only modification I make to a dirt hole set is that I take a squirle tail and stick it in the dirt near the set so that the wind will make the tail twitch around adding a little visual attraction to the set. Also set location is much more important that the actual bait used.

The way i pick a set location especially in a farm field is this: Walk out into the field and look around and find the first most noticeable land mark in the field - weather its a tree, rock, just a dipp or shift in the landscape. Walk over to this "object/location" then look around again. Find the next most noticeable object from that point and make your set near it. If a coyote or fox is traveling that field he'll find that set. Also tray and look at the field from a crouch down position - Coyotes and fox see things from their hieght and they are not 6' tall.