HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Idaho shed hunter stalked by two wolves!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:11 PM
EricH4964

Default RE: Idaho shed hunter stalked by two wolves!

I live in the Adirondack Mountains in Upstate, New York, in a town of a couple hundred people. If you walk west out of my yard it is 30+ miles to the nearest road. The state claims there are no wolves or mountain lions up here yet everyone knows they are here.

Two years ago a guy got one in his coyote set and when he called a game warden (Environmental Conservation Officer -ECO- up here) the ECO told him that he couldn't seal the pelt because it wasn't a coyote. When the guy asked what he meant the ECO said he would be back in touch within a day or so. Two or so days later a scientest for some government agency and several ECO's showed up. After examining it they told they guy he could either donate the animal to a museum in Albany (state capitol) or be arrested for possessing a wolf. When he asked if it was a wolf they said no. Obviously the guy donated it. This story was in the county newspaper.

Last year the same paper ran a story of a guy in PA who shot a 'coyote' while deer hunting. He happened to shot a small buck that day also that field dressed at 110 lbs. The paper printed the picture of both animals laying side by side and the 'coyote' was every bit as big as the deer was. Again, the PA game wardens came in and said it wasn't a wolf because wolves don't exist in this part of the country then confiscated it.

I've heard similar stories with mountain lions that have been struck by vehicles. The state refuses to admit they are here. I happen to work in law enforcement up here and I tell you what, if I get called to a car accident with a wolf or mountain lion you can bet your bottom dollar I am taking photos, hair samples, measurements, etc. before the higher ups arrive and confiscate the thing. I've found tracks of both while deer hunting the past couple of years. It is only a matter of time before similar incidents as the original post happen here. As far as I'm concerned, if the animals don't exist here then they can't be protected. If they can't be protected they can and should be shot if they threaten anyone.