HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mossberg 835 w/ Win XR Supreme test results
Old 04-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Campo

Default Mossberg 835 w/ Win XR Supreme test results

Howdy all,
I finally got to test a box of the Win XR Supremes (3.5" #6 & #5)on Monday night.
I used the following chokes, and once again got the best patterns out of my Northwind and my Stardot, with the former being the best of the two.
Mad Max 1006-1007
Stock
StarDot
Northwind
Kick .680

While I liked the results, I just cant seem to get a great pattern beyond 45 yards, no matter what choke/shell combo I use. I should mention that my 835 is four years old this month, and maybe that has something to do with it.

@40 yds I averaged 15 pellets in brain/spine, with a very nice consistent spread of pellets through the pattern (didnt get to count total hits before the target got burned....placed it in the burn pile by accident[:@]).

@50 yds I averaged 3 pellets in the brain/spine, and while those three would do the job, I consider that to be not consistent enough to take a bird at that range.

Anyway, I think I will stick with the supremes for now. I am going to test another box of Federal's tomorrow night to see if I can repeat a a good pattern I got out of them at longer ranges.

Just a sidenote, does anyone know that the tightest choke constriction that is available for the 835 is? Also, where does one draw the line between yardage and throwing too tight a pattern up close, at say 20 yards? If you are throwing a dense pattern at 50, doesnt that mean that at 20 you pattern will be very tight, almost the size of a fist?