Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Mossberg 835 w/ Win XR Supreme test results >

Mossberg 835 w/ Win XR Supreme test results

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossberg 835 w/ Win XR Supreme test results

Old 04-05-2006, 08:29 AM

Default Mossberg 835 w/ Win XR Supreme test results

Howdy all,
I finally got to test a box of the Win XR Supremes (3.5" #6 & #5)on Monday night.
I used the following chokes, and once again got the best patterns out of my Northwind and my Stardot, with the former being the best of the two.
Mad Max 1006-1007
Stock
StarDot
Northwind
Kick .680

While I liked the results, I just cant seem to get a great pattern beyond 45 yards, no matter what choke/shell combo I use. I should mention that my 835 is four years old this month, and maybe that has something to do with it.

@40 yds I averaged 15 pellets in brain/spine, with a very nice consistent spread of pellets through the pattern (didnt get to count total hits before the target got burned....placed it in the burn pile by accident[:@]).

@50 yds I averaged 3 pellets in the brain/spine, and while those three would do the job, I consider that to be not consistent enough to take a bird at that range.

Anyway, I think I will stick with the supremes for now. I am going to test another box of Federal's tomorrow night to see if I can repeat a a good pattern I got out of them at longer ranges.

Just a sidenote, does anyone know that the tightest choke constriction that is available for the 835 is? Also, where does one draw the line between yardage and throwing too tight a pattern up close, at say 20 yards? If you are throwing a dense pattern at 50, doesnt that mean that at 20 you pattern will be very tight, almost the size of a fist?

Old 04-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg 835 w/ Win XR Supreme test results

My Mossberg 835 patterns a tad better than that with the same load (in #5) and using the w-tra full turkey choke that came with the gun.

At 50 yards, I'm getting about 7 pellets in the brain and spinal cord--I don't count other head/neck hits since those aren't contributing to the hasty demise of the intended target.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:46 AM

Yeah, I tried the #5's at 50yds and didnt get good results, only 2 hits per shot.
For some reason, my gun just doesn't like long range, no idea why, maybe it is time to invest in a new turkey gun?
Ahh well, 45 yds is the limit, not too bad[&o]
Old 04-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Couple of things...Yes you can have too much choke...and the pattern will start to "spray" when you do...Shot size can make a big difference...even in the same brand loads...I would also try the Federal 3 inch 2 oz loads...I have a buddy with a 835..thing didn't like 3 1/2s...I shoot a 3 inch so I tried a couple of my 2 oz #5s...helped tremendously...Still doesn't do as well as my Browning, but he is putting 10-12 in the kill zone at 40 yards...I would say to get consistent out to 45 plus yards and have the knock down you will need then you will have to get into the Heavy Shot type loads...My Browning B-80 puts 12-16 in the kill zone at 40 and 8-10 at 50....But I have never shot a turkey with a shotgun past 40 yards...Probably never will....