HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black Mag3 vs. APP
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 AM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black Mag3 vs. APP

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Don't be surprised to find your 100 yard shots "all over the place" with BM3 using those heavy bullets. The one thing in your favor thouis the loose fit of the Powerbelts. So perhaps, you may be alright with your 100 yard groups.... I dunno!
Txhunter58,

At one hundred yards, you should probably expect a spread of around 5" to 6". For Elk that is more than sufficient as one has a large target in the vital area. If your shots are just touching at25 yards, thenthe bullet stablity is prettygood. Because in this case the 25 yardgroups are the sameMOA as the 50,4 MOA. Even so,as the range lengthens, the MOA is going to broaden.

The precision you are experiencing is the same I have experienced using Williams fiber optic sight, and is the same or better than I have ever seenby any otherperson I knowusing this type of sighting system. Yourprecision would be much better, I believe, if you shot a scope, probably Sub-MOA at 50 yards (your 25 yard precision). I am inclined to think that 95% of the spread in the sighting alone, this from my own experience using GP/Buffalo/Maxiballs and open sights.

You may be able to improve precision just by changing your target. For example, use a bright orange cross. I downloaded one from Targetz.com. I then paint its cross bright orange. It may help you find the center of the target better, it does me at least. If your groups go to 1.5", then thats a 25% improvement in precision and at least15-20% increase in sighting potential for range.

I've not used anything in the PB's other than 295s. The precision I obtained from them was not as good as with ballets. This was in my new Sidekick. I am not ready though to say that the PB's "aren't as precise a projectile" I shot the PB's on a new bore, on thefirst outing with the rifle, so I will give them another try when I feel the bore sufficiently broken in. All the same, I doubt that PB's offer any improvement in precision over the alternatives and since the alternatives are more affordable (and for me, easier to load), you may wish to try them and see how they work for you.

Happy Hunting, Phil