Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rope and Prussic knot >

Rope and Prussic knot

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rope and Prussic knot

Old 01-02-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Rope and Prussic knot

I want to use a rope and prussic knot for safety while ascending and descending my tree stands. I looked at Lowes today and they have 3/8" x 75' rope for $14, that's only 18 cents a foot and its camo too. It holds 240 some pounds. I've read that the prussic is to be 2 mm smaller than the rope but the next size down, I think it is 1/4 or 3/16, is rated below 200 lbs. What size rope should I use for the prussic? And should I spend more money and go toa rock climbing store to get real climbing ropes for 60 or 70 cents a foot?
Old 01-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rope and Prussic knot

Youwant to use climbing rope not hardware store tie down ropes. The stuff I use is 11mm and its rated for fall protection.

The 8mm rope I tie my prussic hitch is rated well over a thousand pounds.

I think I paid 0.60/ft for the 11mm and less for the 8mm.

It's not cheap, but it's a lotcheaper than a decent wheelchair.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just buy it from Summit.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:08 PM

Thanks Urban, Thats what I was looking for. How do you attatch yourself to the prussic? Do you tie it in, cleavace, or a climbing clip?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

does anyone have a visual of this knot and how to tie it?
very interested in using this
Old 01-02-2006, 07:09 PM

Here ya go Rhody.
http://www.iweb-solutions.com/explorers/knots4.htm
It slides easily when there is no tension but as soon as it grabs up or down there is no movement.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:27 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Deer902

How do you attatch yourself to the prussic? Do you tie it in, cleavace, or a climbing clip?
I use a locking carabiner on my harness to a web strap, and a regular carabiner from the strap to the loop formed by the prussic. I wrap the carabiners with electrical tape to keep them quiet.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

if you guys check out www.fallguysafety.com you'll see a quick fix to your problem with the ascender/descender. I have it, and I know that I feel better than with just a prussic knot and rope. of course anything is better than nothing.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:26 AM

I used to make these for Seat-O-The pants. Take about a 3 foot section of your prussic rope, and tie the two ends together to make a loop, we used a fisherman's knot to do this. Then you can loop your prussic onto your main rope. I would suggest that you loop your prussic three times instead of two, when looped twice it takes longer for the prussic to stop you if you fall. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I intend to put these on every tree next season. My buddy almost bed to death after falling while climbing this year. He caught a screw in tree step on the way down, completely severed his bicep, half his tricep and most of his deltoid muscle. Lost 4 pints of blood before getting to the ER.

Deer 902, The guy I'm talking about is Mitch,you met him whenwe were gutting that big buck 5 years ago.

I'm going for the climbing rope myself. No point in being cheap about safety. Dont wanna say "whoops" twice on the way downLooking around now for the best pricing on the stuff. I'll let you know if I find a deal. If you find one, give me a holler.

Quick Reply: Rope and Prussic knot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.