HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Time Turkey Hunter
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 08:32 PM
old longbeards

Default RE: First Time Turkey Hunter

Welcome to theturkey hunting asylum..[8D]..cloudwalker, it's great to hear of another sprotsman hittin the spring woods to chase birds. I have a friend who uses those 'duplex' shells...he swears by the two X fours, now i'm old and i'm like the preverbial mule....ya gotta show me that they hit as hard and takes the head offa turkey at thirty yards..My own shell of choice is fives and fours alternated in the mag tube. (I wont say what brand because every gun patterns differently, you'll have to find out what works best in yours)
I would prefer the 870 over the winchester, in partfor the longer muzzle, it's the choke tube that narrows your pattern but the longer barrel helps with your accuracies.
If i may, i'd like to pass some safety info along, please hunt safe, use a tree big enough to cover your entire body, if you see another turkey hunter walking into your setup, speak loudly to let him know your there. Dont ever try to stalk a turkey, sit and let him come to you. dont wear something in the colors of turkeys (red, blue, and white) for example; bandana around your neck for sweat, if you do...make it camo.
hehehe...i could go on foreverbut your seasons gonna start before i'd be finished....so....have a good time out there in the turkey woods....and remember...if ya hunt ethically, yu hunt safe.