HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Time Turkey Hunter
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Cloudwalker

Default First Time Turkey Hunter

OK, here's the scoop, I'm 38 years old and have never been turkey hunting but have always wanted to. The land I have been renting for the past 2 years for deer hunting is in the flood plains of the lower Roanoke River in Eastern, NC. I would estimated that I saw over 200 turkeys during this past deer hunting season. We don't have a fall turkey season in Halifax Co. any more but our spring season comes in April 8th. I've been practicing with a box call listening to variousturkey callerson the internet and trying to reproduce the sounds that they make. I know about using an owl call to locate the turkeys as I've heard gobblers answer owls during many early morning deer hunts.

I do have a few questions about gear. I have 2 shotguns, a Remington 870 pump with interchangeable chokes and a Winchester model 1300 with a 22" barrell and interchangeable choke tubes. Which gun would you recommend and what size shot (both chambered in 3")?

I used to manage the sporting goods department in a local hardware store and most turkey hunters preferred duplex shells. Are they any better than using just a #6 shot or what would you recommend?

I'm starting to get excited about next month so any advice and help you can give will be appreciated!

Reg

Cloudwalker's Basecamp