HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Most deadly........
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Most deadly........

High powered rifle by far. Bullet weight means nothing in and of its self. You also have to consider velocity and bullet design. Hi powered rifles have better ballistic coeficients and better designed bullets to perform in game. They create more hydrodynamic shock while still penitrating well. I have used everything but buckshot and the centerfire rifle is much more effecient and effective.

Any of the weapons you listed will kill well if used for thier intended use and the projectile is placed in the correct spot. However a centerfire will be more forgiving if you make a less than perfect shot. It will also have a better chance of dropping a deer on the spot. It's never a given, but the chances are better with the center fire.

After that I would say a modern inline with the proper bullets and charge, then a rifled slug gun with modern saboted bullets (very close to the inline in performance), then a slug gun with standard lead bullets and sabots, then a smooth bore slug gun with rifled lead slugs. And lastly the bow, only because of the short range and skill required. I have no use for buckshot at all on game.

Those are my opinions anyway.