Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Most deadly........

Old 03-07-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Most deadly........

I got to thinking the other night and came up with a good question(s).
What is the most deadly out of the following:
Rifle bullet-basic 150 grain bullet
Slug gun- with a regular sabot or slug
Bow and arrow- with good arrows shot at a normal speed
Muzzleloader- with maybe a 230 grain bullet
Crossbow-the reg
Shotgun-00 3 1/2 buck shot

Shot atthe correct ranges for the firearm which would be the most deadly. Assuming everything is set up shooting the normal (good stuff) and the bullet/arrow passes through.In order which would be most deadly?

Old 03-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Most deadly........

i would say a slug. if u get hit with a slug, i imagine it's like getting hit with a train. i mean u just dont walk away from a good placed slug. i hit my deer and it was dead before it started runningmy vote goes with the slug! big, heavy, pieces of lead flyin at ya!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:36 PM

Oh yeah and all the same shot placement.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shot placement....Shot placement...Shot placement

I have dropped them with a .22 and 40 grbullet into the brain....
I have dropped them with a .45 flinter and round ball...through both shoulder blades...
I have dropped them with a 22-250 and 55 grain varmit bullets...neck shots...
I have dropped them with a 85 or 100 gr .243 bullet...didn't matter which brand...high shoulder shots, high lung shots, neck shots and head shots..
I have dropped them with a 12 gauge slug...
I have dropped them with a 12 gauge and 2 3/4 inch shells...and #1 buckshot...

I have never dropped one with a bow...usually run 40-100 yards with a double lung shot...
Old 03-07-2006, 06:49 PM

I dont think an arrow would feel good!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 07:04 PM

This thaught would keep me up at night too.To thinkhow all of those weaponscan and have killed before, and then to wonder how one is more deadly than the other.

What is more deadly than killing something dead? I think under the right conditions they are all "equally" deadly.

Think about it, if you kill a deer with a slug, then you kill one with a rifle 150 gr. bullet, then killed one with a muzzleloader, then with a bow.

And after all thatyou could seriously look down at all the animals that were lying DEAD infront ofyou and wonder which one had taken the most deadly projectile out of the whole group.

YeahI think it would keep me awake at nights too.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:14 PM

Actually I don't imagine an SHARP arrow feels all that bad. That's the biggest reason a razor sharp broadhead is so important...a bullet leaves massage trauma wherever it goes, and the body has built in systems that constrict blood vessels when this happens. A sharp broadhead doesn't trigger these systems because the animal, and its body, "never knows what hit 'em" allowing a quicker bleed-out. I've also seen clips of a mountain goat being shot through the lungs looking around as if something isn't right, going back to its business and collapsing shortly after.

No...I won't be starting the line-up of volunteers to prove my case

My vote goes to the slug unless that 150 grain bullet is being driven at extreme speeds (lets say 3,500+) because at incredibly high speeds the hydrostatic shock ought to be enough to either pulp the heart or 'thump' it hard enough to stop it. The slug just leaves on massive hole and breaks whatever it runs into, which is good considering thay aren't known to be extremely accurate.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Slug from a 10 guage,then In Texas 40 rounds from my M-1 carbine in the head did a hey of a job
Old 03-08-2006, 03:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

HEYI CANT POST PICS, BUT IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME OF MY KILLS FROM A X-BOW JUST GO TO >WEBSHOTS.COM AND PUT CARDEER51 IN THE SEARCH BLOCK AND SEE HOW DEADLY THEY ARE
Old 03-08-2006, 05:28 AM

Given your parameters, the shotgun with 3 1/2 inch 00 buck shells is hands down the most deadly. 00 buck pellets are about .32 caliber. A 3 1/2 would have to carry at least 20 pellets.

Of course, shot placement is key to anything being effective. With a center of mass point of aim, within range, cylinder bore choke, the buckshot will put at least a dozen .32 caliber pellets in your target if not more. Everything else puts one projectile in the target.

Quick Reply: Most deadly........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.