HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Larger diameter advantage?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Soilarch

Default Larger diameter advantage?

O.k. I could post this question in the general "guns" section but figure the guys in here are the type I'd like to have answer my the question. (That's not a slam on anyone, but I find that people who reload are, generally, more technically minded...the kind of answers I like)

Grizzly Bears, Buffalo, Lions...I mean lets face it. There are times when you want to throw as much lead as fast as you can. But I want to talk about dear, boar, black bear, elk, sheep...the "big game" that doesn't have that invincability aura around them. The main advantage I see in moving up in caliber beyond .30 is throwing a heavier bullet without having to make them 1.5" long. When you consider the hydrostatic 'cloud' that is made by a .30 bullet inside the animal is several inches in diameter what difference does another .05 or .1 inches make? I realize that there will always be Different strokes for different folks but is there really any advantage to these big-big bores other than more weight?

Just looking for general thoughts on that question^^^

Now let me make sure my theory on something else is correct. Its not the fact that a heavier bullet (for a given caliber) requires a faster rotation because of its weight...but because of its length, correct? Why do longer bullets need faster twists? I don't imagine there is much rotational slip, (you know, the lands have a 1:12 inch twist but the bullet is slipping on the lands and only turning at 1:>12 inches) but a longer bullet would have more bearing surface, more friction, and slip less...requiring a slower twist. BUT the reason a faster twist is actually required by longer bullets is because, in flight, there is more mass farther away from the bullets center of gravity making it less stabil and requiring a faster rotation to keep if from tumbling. Is this correct?

That was long winded and probably hard to read but would like to see if I'm thinking along the right lines.