HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BLK Pointing Lab at Stud
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 11:54 PM
AlaskaMagnum

Default RE: BLK Pointing Lab at Stud

and that is why you willnever be recognized by NAVHDA. The rules say only "pointing breeds" are allowed. A labrador retriever is not a pointing breed. A pointing labrador retriever would be a pointing breed, but you guys don't want to break off, so you won't get into NAVHDA.

I disagree with the "breed club" being recognized by AKC. NAVDHA is pretty liberal as far as what they consider a breed registry, you could easily establish your own pointing lab breed club, start keeping stud books and establish breeding guidelines. You already have the APLA, if they chose not to enforce breeding restrictions, then it's your clubs fault...not mine.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the PL's, but there is no consistency, which is why I won't buy one. Guys breed dogs that point to dogs that don't point, and so on and so on. The breed has suffered. These dogs have been around for going on thirty years...has there been much progress in the breed as far as pointing consistency? You still have breeders that won't guarantee a pup will point. After thirty years, pointing should be a given, but you guys keep diluting your breeding stock with non pointing dogs because you want those damned AFC/FC after the dog.

As a side note, the Deutsch Langhaar and the Large Musterlander pointer are the same dog, only difference is color, the Llewellin setter is still an English setter but the dogs must go back to a specific dog...yet NAVHDA recognizes the four breeds as distinct, because that is how they present themselves.

Really, I don't care, I don't have a dog in this fight, but please don't make statements like "NAVDHA won't let us in because they are afraid a bunch of labs would beat them". It's sour grapes. The dogs could certianly compete, do well, and have success, but they are not allowed in because the PL community wants the rules changed to fit their demands. In other words, quit blaming a good organization like NAVHDA because your organization the APLA is weak and wont develop and enforce a breed registry and breeding restrictions for pointing labs.