HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Antler Restrictions
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 08:46 AM
_Dan

Default RE: Antler Restrictions

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Do you actually think that a DNR has implimented ARs to produce trophy bucks?
I don't know about Wisonsin but here in NY we have one management unit that has recently been made an AR unit. 3 points on a side. The DEC said that they have agreed to do this "experimentally" as the result of pressure from local hunting groups to increase the average size of bucks in the unit. Their position regarding ARwas, in a meeting I attended, that they didn't see a need for it from a management perspective but they would also consider it in other units if that's what the sportsman wanted.
That's interesting. That is the first case I have heard of. But it sounds like they are doing it because the sportsmen want it, not because its needed. Like I said in my previous post, if they are going to do it, it needs to be at least a 4pt rule (for managemant purposes not trophy purposes). But, as far as managing for a trophy herd, I don't think a minimum point rule is the way to go. In this case only mature deer should be killed, and like some others said, some bucks that are mature may not actully make the minimum.

Anyways, thanks for the info. I would be interested to see what happens in that unit.