HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Future of the Crossbow
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM
kevin1
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Future of the Crossbow

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I got to thinking about the predice against Xbows and I think it goes clear back to the Knight in armor days, the knights hated them because the commeners could polk a hole in there armor with them. Lee
The knights also looked down on the longbowmen of the day too since the archers were also commoners and therefore not "worthy" of meeting a noble knight on the field of battle , especially since they didn't fight hand to hand unless they had to preferring to run instead . The longbowmen looked down on crossbowmen because they felt that since they had to practice from childhood to achieve proficiency and the crossbowmen didn't that they weren't "real" archers . Sound familiar ?

I crack up when a guy with a tricked out compound says that to me and then brags about how many Robin Hoods he has , Robin shot a longbow and wouldn't use sights or other aids even if they had been available back then as that wouldn't befit a true archer . I have to wonder what an acomplished 13th century combat archer would call a compound shooter with all those gadgets attached to his bow to help him shoot . My guess is that it wouldn't be "fellow archer" .