Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Future of the Crossbow >

Future of the Crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Future of the Crossbow

Old 02-08-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Future of the Crossbow

What do you the future will be like for the crossbow? Will it have the same acceptance it has of the modern compound vertical bow. My dream is to see crossbow huntersgo to the field side by side the vertical hunters during archery season.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:02 PM

Default RE: Future of the Crossbow

Its accepted here in Ohio and it catching on in other states. I think in other states people talk down on them only because they are not legal and dont get to use them so some of them talk them down out of envy. I am not trying to act like an indian or be manly and say I do it the hard way, I just like the long season and not geting shot by all the gun hunters. A guy at work moved here fromIL. about five years ago and made fun of me andthe guys a work and said we must be handicap. Well when it came time to update his bow and he bought a CB and loves it.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hotburn76
This is not to give you a hard time or bait you but what do you mean by "act like an indian" I've never heard that expression before.

I hunt in Ontario Canada were I only see the vert bow people (and the ususal antis) look down on us.
I think that as others become educated about the difficulties of hunting with a xbow and limitations of the xbow they (esp vert bow people) will start accepting the fact that we do not have the awesome advantage they think we do. It is imperative that we as xbow hunters act beyond reproach in each and every way possible and educate people by allowing the interested to see how much fun this sport is.
Just one man's opinion.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:51 PM

Personally, I prefer a compound bow...that's just me! However, I think a lot of people are under the false impression that crossbows are as accurate as rifles. I'm sure they require less skill than a "vertical" bow, but it isskill, nonetheless. The fact that they are easier to shoot will make the woods a little more crowded though!
Someday I may have no choice but to hunt with a crossbow. I'll be damn glad to have one then!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I like my compound as well but when it gets colder the xbow is king. Easier to kill humanely with less screw ups and the guys who don't shoot as well as they should will wound less. But NCYnakee don't wait till you have to do it now when you can enjoy it more!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes I prefer the compound but I guess in super cold the crossbow would be great and it does require practice and knowledge too!

What states right now allow crossbow other then with a disability? I know my home state of Ohio does.[8D]
Old 02-09-2006, 04:24 AM
Dominant Buck

The compound bow was just as controversial in it's day as the crossbow is now , and look at what the currently dominant archery system is .

Indiana allows their use for all game except for deer during our early archery period , you can take deer with it during the late archery period only for now due to pejudice against them by the vert bow crowd . This is changing however , our DNR is looking harder at crossbow use during the EA period now that they are in a financial pinch and nearly all of the surrounding states have liberalized them .

RB , you and I share the same dream . Be patient , it's just a matter of time before it comes true .
Old 02-09-2006, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes i was around in 1974 when the controversy over the compound and the hatred for it. Now you are right, it is the predominant and like another thread in bowhunting, they get faster and faster, 80% let-off and basically easier to shoot. I use one myself so if that is what they want and it is legal. But i never understood the controversy over the crossbow!
Bet some of the ones that are griping are ones that wanted to use a compound bow........... it just seems funny that instead of working together, cooperating we are doing exactly what the antis want, keeping each other from hunting! [&:]
Old 02-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

JLmoore1956
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!! You hit the nail on the head. As long as we as hunters and shooters act like a disfunctional family we will be like single links in a chain. What WE need is the public and the politicians to try to use a crossbow to see our short comings in using them like Star Trek lazers.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well that is a different way of putting it, dysfunctional, but I have to wonder if those arguing against crossbows, fellow hunters realize how much they are supporting the anti-hunting agenda. A good politican could get ahold of it and say, "see even hunters agree" then there goes crossbow, then the traditionalist maybe get into it with compound bow, "see even hunters agree" and before long we keep loosing more and more space...... believe me, they think it won't happen, but once we pit ourselves against our selves, guess who has won! [:@]

Quick Reply: Future of the Crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.