HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone hunt in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:24 AM
stoneman

Default RE: Anyone hunt in Europe?

I was stationed in Germany for 5 years, and I saw some AMAZING red "stags"...also heard them referred to as red elk, or red deer. I asked around about hunting, and was told it was super expensive (can't remember how much), AND that you can't take a trophy for the first couple of years...you have to take smaller, or inferior animals, AND that you had to hunt with a guide. Things may have changed since then. I just don't like the idea of a guide. I like the solitude of hunting.I'm here to tell you that those red elk are BEAUTIFUL, and HUGE...compared to whitetails! I was mountain biking by myself in the Taunus Mtns, and had stopped for a little snack. Heard a twig snap about 20 yds away, and thought to myself that it sounded like a whitetail back home sneakin' around...turned around and saw a big doe (or do they call them cows? ), with a youngin'. About 15 yds out in front of them, I saw a monter buck (or is it bull?)...the sun was streaming through the treetops, into a really dark part of the forest, and he was magnificent...it's one of my favorite memories of Germany. Although I did wish I could have stuck an arrow in him. (sorry for the rant) I travelled around in Italy a few times, and saw some nice lookin' goats up in the mountains, but never saw any of those deer you're talking about. Let us know if you get to hunt and get some PICS!!