HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Drawing the Line III
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 06:38 PM
ipscshooter
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Drawing the Line III

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

Gus I may be talking out of my ear but I think a lot of the appeal for these types of hunts are with professionals such as Doctors, Attorney's and such that do not have a lot of time to get out but have a lot of money and want to hang something on their wall

You are probably right with that assessment Doc in regards to the people who actually use these types of facilities, but IMO this is what is wrong with the entire thing. If these folks were really true hunters they could make time to get out in the woods, heck, the Dr's and Attorney's should have plenty of money to buy there own land. I would also think they would have more time than the working man. Many of my close friends are coal miners and they work 6 days a week............sometimes 7. I can't imagine themgoing to a high fence hunt/shoot. I think it's basic.It takes a certain type of personality. Someone who wants what other cannot have........unless they too have the means and the money.
I'm a little curious as to how you came by the opinion that the medical and legal professions are part time jobs. I've been an attorney for 20+ years, and I have had months where I worked 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. And, if you're in a big firm, you really need to average 50 billable hours per week if you ever want to make partner. You might get two weeks vacation per year (I've never taken more than a three day weekend), but, you still have to average 50 billable hours per week, so the hours have to be made up elsewhere.

I've hunted both types of operations. My first deer hunt was in 1997 on a high fenced 400+ acre ranch. I'm now hunting a 2000+ acre low fenced ranch. The deer didn't behave differently on the high fenced ranch than they do on the low fenced one. They weren't tied to a tree or bottle fed or anything like that on the high fenced ranch. The ONLY difference I note between the two is that the deer on the high fenced operation had a larger percentage of older deer. The low fenced ranch, being surrounded by ranches having an "if it's brown, it's down" management policy, has a far lower percentage of mature deer. Other than that, both are essentially the same. Blinds are set up near high traffic areas, you sit and wait for something to wander by. You shoot if it meets your management goals.

This one is from the high fenced ranch: