Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Drawing the Line III

Old 02-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Drawing the Line III

OK, this one IS NOT about weapons, baiting, pods, drives, etc.!
This IS ONLY about FENCES!
It seems that MOST of us agree, that at least at some point, fences become UN-SPORTING, to say the least!
I don't hunt "high fences" but, I know that it is becoming big business,and at least SOME of these operations are good for "hunting," because it does allow more people to enjoy the sport! EVEN, if itis NOT WHAT WE DEFINE AS "HUNTING!"
I for one, think that THERE IS a difference between 1000's of acres under fence, and a "feed pen!
So, at what point does it really become not "HUNTING?"

Another thought to ponder is this: Whether its 1000's of acres, or a "knock-em in the head pen,"IT IS going to be legal in many places.
Even if we say "itsNOT "HUNTING," the sign on thegates are going to say "HUNTING Ranch!"
IF it said "BUTCHER SHOP" would it make us "hunters" feel better?
After all, we are not vegeterians! We are gonna kill it! Easy or hard!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:13 PM

Default RE: Drawing the Line III

Settle down... Enough with the !!!!!!!!

It really isn't the fences on1000 acreranches that makes that type of hunting boring it is how it is known where the deer are, when they will come out, andwhat they score. That isn't the hunting part.

oh ya ... !!!!!!!!

[/align]
Old 02-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree spiffy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bolt cutters
Old 02-02-2006, 04:18 AM

OK so its only about fences but to get the bigger picture, fences fall in the category that facilitates getting game. Your headline says it all. Its about drawing the line, and it is not likley to find hunters to be such a homogenous group, that there will be consensus at the drawing board. How can we agree that the pen hunting, as seen in the video, is crap when it is legal?
Well maybe we have to in order to be a credible resource that the lawgivers turn to when they want to know whats best. Maybe our discussions should forego the laws, both in terms on increasing as well as decreasing hunting. Perhaps that is how we get credibility, by keeping our nest clean ourselves.
How the heck we should do this? Ill be darned if I knew.

Just a thought!

Old 02-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

3D, I understand the feelings, my friend! Its almost an un-definable line to draw! High fences are becoming more common, and its just big business! There are those who are going to spend the money on land, fences, and high priced breeder deer! And there are those who ARE going to pay the price to "hunt "those places!
As long as it will be legal for them to do so, the sign on the fence is going to say, "Joe's HUNTING Ranch," whether its 10 acres, or 1000's of acres!
I guess DD's motto of "to thine own self be true," is what we have to judge ourselves by!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a friend in San Antonio Texas that ownes 1800 acres ..he has high fenced 300 acres and now sells hunts for exotics and hogs ..he told me the other night that this year ( his 3rd full year in business) he will have 1500 hunters at an average of about $700.00 per hunter for a two day hunt ..that equates to over 1 million dollars and he sells most of his hunts on Ebay ... he buys the majority of the exotics wholesale from brokers in Texas who work auctions for these animals .... he told me he willnet over $250,000 for the year ...so it appears to me by those numbers there are a LOT of people participating in these "hunts" ...he has invited me to hunt there several times but I have no interest but will not judge the ones who do ....

dd
Old 02-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a question about high fences.

If 1,000+/- acres justifies fair chase even though it iswithin high fences, why are the high fences used? I understand the concept of "shooting fish in a barrell" with the 3-5 acre pens, but arn't they just making the "barrell" bigger?

The bottom line is, the deer cannot escape. It is a manufactured hunt and I think I draw the line on "ANY" high fence hunts. If others want to participate in it and it tickles their Fancy, so be it.

It's kinda like an arranged marriage if you ask me. At least one of the participants have no choice in the matter.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gus I may be talking out of my ear but I think a lot of the appeal for these types of hunts are with professionals such as Doctors, Attorney's and such that do not have a lot of time to get out but have a lot of money and want to hang something on their wall. I also think that peir preasure comes into play on these types of hunts to ...you know if your buddy's have all killed some nice deer but for whatever reason you can't seem to get the monkee off your back because where you have permission just does not have big deerand your buddys keep teasing you about it ..you might decide to do a hunt like this .. I would think that watching these hunting shows and seeing a lot of big deer taken might put some desire and self imposed preasure on ones self to try a hunt like this ... I would think though if you hunt a high fenced area such a 1000 acres thats a LOT of land .. not sure how easy that would be ...still not for me but I imagine that might be a lot tuffer then hunting in a petting zoo ... the only defence I can make for a high fenced area like 1000 acres or larger is that it should keep poaching down and allow the land owner to keep the big bucks from wondering on his neighbors property which if the truth be known most of us can appreciate...

dd
Old 02-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Perhaps i am wrong, but I was under the impression that there is a correlation between "fenced" ranches of all sizes and use of things like timed baiting machines. I don't care if the ranch is 10,000 acres.If you have it set up with feeders so that you know exactly what type of deer are going to be at a certain spot and when, then what have you got. Can people clarify this in terms of the frequency of fences and feeders together?

Quick Reply: Drawing the Line III

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.