HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cape question?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Bill Yox

Default RE: Cape question?

PLEASE dont take offense to this, as Im being honest and mean NO offense...I couldnt think of taking an animal as nice as that without mounting it. Id rather not take the animal. Im NOT saying you shouldnt have, I hope you understand. Maybe its because Im a taxidermist. I hear guys say they wouldnt kill something unless they could gnaw on it. I still coul;d shoot stuff Im not going to eat though. But I dont think Id wanna take african or north american "one time" trophies unless I could mount them. I see the delemna with the room size. Too bad you couldnt work out an arrangement with a taxidermist you trust, and share the expense to have it mounted for his display or showrrom, anything to help you out. I can see not mounting every buck or turkey, but if I got a muskox, for example, its gotta get hung up! Mark, do you have an outfitter friend that might be able to help you, or anything like that? Ive arranged with a client to have him pay for just the material and I mounted the trophy for display, and he would agree to pay the balance once he was able to house the mount himself. Maybe that would work with you and a reputable taxidermist? Interesting spin, Id say, regardless. I personally dont know the worth of a muskox cape or LS skin, but the caribou isnt fetching as much if the cape cant be discerned from a more common subspecie.

By the way, guys, keep in mind, if you DO choose to have trophies tanned now, for a change of mind later...Tanning has a shelf life, not that itll fall apart, etc, but rather for "workability" for the mount. If you have it tanned, store it in a freezer until its mounted.