Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Cape question?

Old 02-05-2006, 05:29 PM

Default RE: Cape question?

No offense taken. You see 10 years ago I wanted to hunt the world and as a sub plot I was going to fill up a room with all the mounts. Well, its 10 years later and I've been from the Arctic to Africa, Africa more than once. Now days its far more about the hunt than filling up a room. For what I've got in taxidermy and shipping stuff back from our last 2 trips to Africa,the shipping alone was over $4k[&:],I could more than pay for our next trip. In fact I cound pay for ournext trip and about 1/2 ofmy caribou hunt[:@].When you add to that the small size fo our house I just can't see it. Sure I could add a "trophy room" on to the house or buy a bigger house but our goals are to hunt not spend more on a house. We've got a limited income and if we have to choose, bigger house and more taixdermy vs more hunting. Well... hunting is going to win every timeBTW I still plan to mount a few things along the way, just not everything. From now on most things with horns or antlers will be European mounts.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mark,
I would possibly be interested in buying the caribou cape depending on what your final figure on it is.Try www.taxidermy.net to sell it. I am fairly new to taxidermy and would like to have a caribou to mount. I admire the fact that you have the desire to hunt like I do, I wish I had the wallet that you do. Man, that would be a dream, to hunt all over the world like that!! Congradulations.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Mark, I certainly see your point. When I think about it, of course Im biased as a taxidermist, Id want to "save" everything I got, or even found. Then I think, I might actually be more like you, in a different way. Because, as a taxidermist, I never have time to mount my own stuff anyway! hahaha, hows that for a twist! Good luck with your hunts, I hope maybe someday you stumble into an extra room for your stuff. Glad you didnt take me wrong, I was just enjoying the back and forth with you.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Animals. If I were you, and had as many mounts as you, I'd be sure to take up and learn a new hobby... Taxidermy
Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 AM

KS, hahaha, yeah but then he could NEVER afford to build that new trophy room OR hunt across the world!!! I wonder what he DOES do for a living to help that cause. Good luck to him, just the same!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Bill Yox

KS, hahaha, yeah but then he could NEVER afford to build that new trophy room OR hunt across the world!!! I wonder what he DOES do for a living to help that cause. Good luck to him, just the same!
I work