HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Drawing the Line III
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 PM
HuntinGUS
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drawing the Line III

The other thing that has created this type of market and venues is this type of thinking, which translates into poor deer management. The "If It's Brown It's Down" theory is what leads many states to only have bucks that are 1.5 yr old 4 pts.. If it's meat you want, isn't that doe a better tasting choice to put on your families dinner table?
Does it take a high fence to produce mature Whitetails?NO.

My point was the infactuation with the Monster bucks. Hunting (for some) is no longer about killing what makes you happy or gets you excited. There seems to be alot of folks that think you should only shoot a "mature" buck or just shoot does......."for the betterment of the herd"

Basically you are stating that because not enough people choose to shoot only mature bucks, these types of venues are a necessity? Is a mature buck that important? I guss I just don't get it. I hunt for what makes me happy. Sometimes I shoot young buck, sometimes I hold off and wait. SometimesI take what I get, but I do not manufacture it, buy putting up high fences or enhancing the Bucks potential with supplements. I rather kill a regular 1.5 year old 4 point than resort to these means.