HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to trapping and want to get started
Old 02-01-2006, 04:10 PM
take-em

Default RE: New to trapping and want to get started

I would suggest getting to know someone who is experienced in trapping and asking if you can tag along with him. If you can't find anyone get the magazine Fur Fish and Game and get some books on trapping. The other guys pretty much covered the supplies. But you can make do with less. I started with some traps, stakes, ahatchet, a knife,some lure, a .22, and some trap dye. I would also suggest starting out trapping coons and beavers because those are relativily easy. Trapping is awsome, the night before you go check the traps for the first time is so hard to sleep. My dad used to trap all winter but when I was born he started to slow down and now he doesn't trap at all because he's to busy. But when I started out he told me some hints and let me go. After the first week he would come along and help ocasionallybut I was mostly on my own. But he did tell me all he knew about trapping when he did come along and he was extremely helpfull. Every day after school I get on my bike and go check my traps, and if he was home he would give me a ride. After college I am hoping to go live in the Alaska bush for a couple of years and do some longline trapping.
Hope this helps

take-em