HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wierd Cleaning Question.....
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 11:00 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wierd Cleaning Question.....

ORIGINAL: Campo

I am shooting roundball with cotton patch with wonderlube+bore butter.
I am only swapping with alcohol, not with a 50/50 washer fluid/alcohol. (Is that more recommended?)
It is a darkish blue, not too dark, but it really look like oxidatoin. I noticed, after cleaning, that my brass cleaning jag had an oxidized look, and was wondering if my cleaning solution was reacting with that. The wierd thing is no matter how many alcohol patch I run down, it comes out the same tint, and about the same amount, so I think it is just a freak reaction between the alki, the solvent, and the jag...cause that barrel is way clean!
The shell bore test reveals nothing but a clean shiny bore, very clean, no fouling
It is shooting ok, about to test some different patch ball combos tomorrow, cause there might be a hog hunt in order in March.
Anyone know of any real good fair chase outfitters in Tenn/NC/SC area?
Since you're shooting a Hawkins, there is nothing wrong with using straight alcohol as a swab solution. I dobecause I get less miss fires and hang fires using pure alcohol.

What brand or kind of solvent are you using? I have never seen that dark blue color on a patch as you describe. Maybe it is oxidation from the solvent as you suspect. And then when you apply the oil in the bore, that is stopping all of that. Does this color show up on dry patches that you run through the barrel before you put the final coat of oil down it?

This is interesting and I am sure a simple matter. Its just finding out the cause is all.... Good luck with your hog hunt.