Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Wierd Cleaning Question..... >

Wierd Cleaning Question.....

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wierd Cleaning Question.....

Old 01-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Wierd Cleaning Question.....

Recently, I was cleaning my T/C Hawken for the second time and noticed some issues I was having.
I clean between every shot, so there isnt too muchfouling going on in the barrel.
When I cleaned, I ran it through hot soapy water, then changed the water, and ran it through another batch of hot soapy water, I averaged around 6 patches per batch of water.
After that, I would take the bore brush, dumb some solvent down the barrel (I have tried different ones everytime, just to see what works best for my gun). I run that brush real good up and down, maybe 20 times, altering slightly the ramrod position as to give the bore more pressure in certain areas.
Then, after that, comes the alcohol patches, and here is where I have the problem. I ran one down, came up a lil dirty (more of a blue colored oxidation) ran another down, same thing, so I ran about 15-20 more down, and though they looked clean (no residue) they still had that blueish oxidation looking color. I began to get frustrated, and decided that it cant be the barrel, since I had cleaned the heck out of it. So, I ran hot water through it, followed by more alcohol patches....same thing, blueish tint on the patch.
I cleaned the nipple as per Cayugads instructions, along with the rest of the gun.
So, here is my question...Is this blueish tint on the patches just oxidation between my cleaning jag and my solvent, or is there something funky going on in the barrel?
I ended up getting it as clean as I could, sheathed the whole gun, then checked the bore with a .270 shell, and she looked clean as could be.
I guess my main question is has anyone had similar experiences, and does a clean patch mean no "powder crud" on it, or are we talking squeaky clean and white?
Anyone anyone?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wierd Cleaning Question.....

Are you shooting roundball and cotton patch? If you're shooting conicals, what color is the lube on the conicals?

Could this blue tint you refer to be a condition of the 50/50 alcohol & blue in color windshield washer fluid mix finally becoming pronounced on the patch? I've seen a very light wet, kind ofblue tint on patches but always figured I was looking at the moisture in the patch.

Is this a dark blue or a light in color wet blue? What I would be looking for is the fowling smudges that come out of the bore. It sounds like you are cleaning the devil out of that rifle so I do not think you really have a problem.

Drop a bore light or a .45 caliber shined up brass shell with the end taped to avoid scratching and look down that barrel. If it is nice and clean, shines good, and you can follow the rifling up the barrel. I do not think you have a problem.

I personally have not seen a dark blue tint come out on a patch. If it continues, you might want to get some J-B Bore paste, smear some of thatlightly ona patch and scrub the bore. Then clean the barrel. That bore paste usually removes anything.

How is that Hawkins rifle shooting for you?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:51 AM

I am shooting roundball with cotton patch with wonderlube+bore butter.
I am only swapping with alcohol, not with a 50/50 washer fluid/alcohol. (Is that more recommended?)
It is a darkish blue, not too dark, but it really look like oxidatoin. I noticed, after cleaning, that my brass cleaning jag had an oxidized look, and was wondering if my cleaning solution was reacting with that. The wierd thing is no matter how many alcohol patch I run down, it comes out the same tint, and about the same amount, so I think it is just a freak reaction between the alki, the solvent, and the jag...cause that barrel is way clean!
The shell bore test reveals nothing but a clean shiny bore, very clean, no fouling
It is shooting ok, about to test some different patch ball combos tomorrow, cause there might be a hog hunt in order in March.
Anyone know of any real good fair chase outfitters in Tenn/NC/SC area?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Campo

I am shooting roundball with cotton patch with wonderlube+bore butter.
I am only swapping with alcohol, not with a 50/50 washer fluid/alcohol. (Is that more recommended?)
It is a darkish blue, not too dark, but it really look like oxidatoin. I noticed, after cleaning, that my brass cleaning jag had an oxidized look, and was wondering if my cleaning solution was reacting with that. The wierd thing is no matter how many alcohol patch I run down, it comes out the same tint, and about the same amount, so I think it is just a freak reaction between the alki, the solvent, and the jag...cause that barrel is way clean!
The shell bore test reveals nothing but a clean shiny bore, very clean, no fouling
It is shooting ok, about to test some different patch ball combos tomorrow, cause there might be a hog hunt in order in March.
Anyone know of any real good fair chase outfitters in Tenn/NC/SC area?
Since you're shooting a Hawkins, there is nothing wrong with using straight alcohol as a swab solution. I dobecause I get less miss fires and hang fires using pure alcohol.

What brand or kind of solvent are you using? I have never seen that dark blue color on a patch as you describe. Maybe it is oxidation from the solvent as you suspect. And then when you apply the oil in the bore, that is stopping all of that. Does this color show up on dry patches that you run through the barrel before you put the final coat of oil down it?

This is interesting and I am sure a simple matter. Its just finding out the cause is all.... Good luck with your hog hunt.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:07 AM

I am using Black Powder Bore Cleaning Solvent, from Track of the Wolf.
I am going to switch to Birchwood Casey's Black Powder Solvent after my shooting session tomorrow, and we will see if the same thing happens.
It doesnt really show up on dry patches once the barrel is dry, so that is why I suspect it is just a freak reaction between different elements in the chemicals and maybe the brass. The oil patch comes upwithverylittle blue with the first swab, but on the second it comes out totally clean, very little color at all.
it just freaks me out, I want to keep the gun in tip-top shape, already put a ding or two in the stock due to dropping it twice while cleaning (this cant really effect the barrel if it is droppedcorrect, I know it can break the Fiber sights, but I already checked them for cracks and if they shifted?)
I just want that blue reaction to stop!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:31 AM

Before you go to the JB paste, you might try Butch's Bore Shine and a couple dozen strokes of a tight fitting brass brush. Then push patches soaked with Butch's until they come out clean. Usually, a blue color on the patch is an indication of copper residue - which seems unlikely with a patched round ball. Ever shoot any copper plated powerbelts in this gun?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

If it is not showing up on the dry patches I suspect your right. As for the Butch's Bore Shine... GOOD STUFF!!! I really like that as a solvent. When you get that working and it foams up, it really cleans the bores. I used to get the stuff at Wal Mart and they stopped carrying it. NowI use BLACK OFF - RUSTY DUCK which is also a good cleaner. But that Butch's will sure take the fowling off of parts....
Old 01-29-2006, 11:46 AM

I should thank you for recommending the Butch's awhile back. I had some sitting around for years and never really used it on the CF guns - already have a long established routine involving Shooter's Choice and Sweet's 7.62 for these rifles. But for some reason the Butch's really cleans the muzzleloader barrels well. Particularly good at getting the plastic residue out of there from the sabots. It's pretty rare when I can't take a muzzleloader that appears to be "clean" in every respect; and not get some additional crud out of it by running a patch of Butch's down the barrel.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like at one time or another you use a solvent that had copper removel capabilities and a brass jag at the same time if so clean the jag real good. Lee
Old 01-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think your probably right a false postive from the jag/solvent. I have never seen a brassfitting show any reaction with using 100% alky but I have seen solvents with some types ofbrass jag or brush's leave blue residue.

If it was copper you should see it dry as well as wet on the patch, at least IME. However given your set up that possibility is highly unlikely.

Quick Reply: Wierd Cleaning Question.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.