HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help! Sabots are shredding... What is causing this?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:23 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Help! Sabots are shredding... What is causing this?

The blue Thompson Center Sabots that come with a 200 grain Shockwave with the .40 caliber bullet do the same thing. You shoot them and the petals are all over the place but the accuracy is exceptional. Like Sabotloader, I do not consider the sabot breaking up as a true sign of trouble. I would find the accuracy issue more alarming then anything else. Although personally, 3" groups at 100 yards is not as bad as some people obtain. I know one person that would sell their sole for that kind of group.

I will guess that because it is a .45 caliber and you are shooting a 200 grain projectile, perhaps it is a pressure issue. I do not feel the powder charge is out of line. 2 pellets should be a good load. Since I have never shot a .45 caliber I really can not offer any on hands experience. I would perhaps get some loose powder and start by cuttng the load back to 80 grains of loose Pyrodex and see if that makes a difference. Also as Sabotloader suggested, calling someone with far greater experience in the field would be a good step..

Good luck with your rifle.