HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trail cam picture BIG BUCK!!!!!UPDATED BIGGER PIC
Old 01-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Diesel77
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trail cam picture BIG BUCK!!!!!

awesome pics Diesel.. very nice..yeah tell me more..where do you set up your cameras..ie..feeding, bedding. travel routes..
All I can tell you is that big bucks dont often come out to feed until just before dark or when its completely dark, you know what everyone says , they didnt get thatbig by being stupid. So, with that being said if you want to find out when the big boys are feeding put a camera or cameras in a staging area, youve been corning, near what you think may be a bedding area that holds a big buck or several that you could get a crack at before dark or coming in to bed in the morning.
Also, during the rut, big bucks travel alot and far, so pics you may get of bucks you havent seen before could be from a visitor from another area a mile or 2 away and normally we get pics of him for several days then poof, he's gone. Ifhe's a real bruiserhunt that area all day for a few days if possible. Once the rut is in full swing pics of big bucks almost completely stop because the does they are chasing eventuallygo into breed mode and become unsocial and go off with their stud to breed in privacy for a few days and we dont get many pics of the big boys, but lots and lots of fawns and little bucks when Ive had as many as 300 pics on one camera in one 24 hr period so regular batteries arent the way to go and get 2 as big as you can getmemory sticks, 12v car batteries are the ticketif your are in a high traffic area. Its cheaper in the long run. 6 C cell batteries every 3 or 4 nights gets expensive during a season if you are getting 1,000+ pics every 4 or 5 days.

Do you have any suggestions on what kind of mineral supply i should put out there this spring to keep them coming by the camera, or should i keep using corn? I heard your not supposed to give them corn in the spring, i dont know why but that is what i was told.
Ive tried mineral licks many many tims and didnt have good luck with them. So I dont use them anymore for picture bait, all my pics were of deer eating or standing near corn. I have used deer corn, corn mixed with a molasses syrup but its a little more expensive than corn so again, I just use corn even though the deerreally really love the syrup corn. As far as not using corn in Spring, I dont know if you arent suppossed to use corn, but the deerdont need to eat corn because thereare tasty new morsels sprouting up all over so you wont get many pics over corn in Spring. Try putting your camera on a major trail near water, a creek, pond, etc ... or on a path entering a soy bean field edge so you get pics of deer cruising the edge of the field and entering/exiting the field all in the same view.