HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is .308 enough gun
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 07:16 AM
bigpapa
Typical Buck

Default Is .308 enough gun

About a month ago I inherited a Remington model 742 in a .308 chambering. It has previously sat in my grandmothers attic for about 20 years. It's going to be a beautiful gun (I say that because I'm having it stripped down and re-blued in the off season. I took care of a lot of rust myself but it's worth it to have it totaly reblued). My grandfather imbedded in the walnut stock a 1904 Morgan silver dollar. The scope is a Bauch & Laum 3x9x40. I took it to a friends house to try it out. He said "I can't imagine the scope would be on!" His comment was WAY wrong! The rusted on scope shot perfectly. 3 weeks later I killed a button buck from 75 yards with it. I've been using Rem Core Lockt 150 grn cartrages. It did a hella number on the deer leaving a drenching blood trail and obliterated it's lungs and heart. I was estatic. Now comes the question. Next year I'm going on abrown bear hunt I'll have enough money saved up to purchase a new rifle prior to the hunt if needed. Should I get a new rifle or just use my .308 One friend said I should get a the 30-06But I kinda feel that it would be a waste of money. If I get a new rifle what are some good options. Just looking for advice. Thanks.