Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Is .308 enough gun

Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is .308 enough gun

Thanks man I'm all kinds of excited.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:53 PM

are you kidding grizzly bears have been taken with bows. again it rests all on the shot placement
Old 02-01-2006, 12:56 PM

i could take a shot at a grizzly will a bazooka but that does not say i will kil lit i may just with a bad shot placement blow his toes off . surely not a kill shot. now you see what i mean?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:59 PM

i would not hesitate at all at taking a grizzly with a .308. i have alot of confidence in my shooting ability. besides grizzly bears do not wear bullet proof hide lol lol lol lol lol
Old 02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

mrwhitetailhunter, you can do what you please when you hunt dangerous game or big bears. However when or ifyou ask for opinions on what to take on such a hunt be prepared to hear other than your beloved .308 win suggested.

I will not argue shot placements and bullet selection or for that matter confidence in a particular rifle aren't large keys to success in the field. However just because someone used a knife to kill a grizzly doesn't mean its the best choice!!!! I personally don't believe their is one tool for every hunt. In terms of possibility of being the hunted vs the hunterI don't think you can be over gunned!!! So if I ever have the interest to pursue such game I will make sure I am proficent and able to handle guns best suited to the task before embarking on the hunt. If not possible Iwouldn't bother going on that hunt.

BTW I no longer have any desire to hunt black bears with a firearm, so I know they aren't required to cleanly kill a black bear. My reasoning is simply from a personal challenge perspective with blackies. That said I still respect them and the threat they can pose. I wouldn't dream of chasing a grizzly or kodiak with a bow, not because of lack of skill or confidence in my equipment but rather out of respect of the animals power/unpredictability. I kind like living to see the next day.

If this makes me a wuss...Guilty but I can live with that.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mrwhitetailhunter

30-06 may be fine but if you really want to get to the nitty gritty a 30-06 looses its balls where as a .308 is a straight out blaster.

Are you trying to say the 308 is a cannon the 30/06 is a wimp compared to it? I'd be interested in clarification here.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

ORIGINAL: mrwhitetailhunter

30-06 may be fine but if you really want to get to the nitty gritty a 30-06 looses its balls where as a .308 is a straight out blaster.

Are you trying to say the 308 is a cannon the 30/06 is a wimp compared to it? I'd be interested in clarification here.
I hope hes just becoming sarcastic and trying to change the pace in this thread. If hes serious, someone needs to sit him down and talk with him