HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Share your best elk hunting tips
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 05:40 PM
RPL

Default RE: Share your best elk hunting tips

I hunted The Bob Marshall/Scapegoat area in Montana Last October. It is very rugged country. A couple of things thatI learned were:
1)Every ounce that you carry in the mountains will feel like pounds by the end of the day. I'm seriously considering a lightweight mountain rifle for my next elk hunt.
2) Your footwear is critical to a successful hunt. I wore a pr. of well broken in Cabela's Outfitters Boots. The removable insoles were slightly worn in one spot. I didn't even notice it while wearing them while hiking or huntingback home. In the mountains, I could tell exactly where that worn spot on the insole was by the end of the day. New insoles next time. Fortunately I didn't end up with a blister on the bottom of my foot. Also, I could easily feel the difference between a new pair of marino wool socks and a somewhat used pair. On my next elk hunt I will bringnew or at least like new socks.
3)You can never be in too good a physical condition. I jogged, bicycled and backpacked 35 lbs. almost everyday all summer to get in shape. The mountains still kicked my ass but at least I could go where ever the guide wanted to. Some of my buddy's that didn't work out had a very hard time of it and it limited their ability to hunt hard. It paid off for me on the 6th daywhen we spotted a herd of elk over a mile away. The guide and myself were able to hike through some tough country to get close enough to take a nice 6x6 bull. Two of the other hunters that were not in good enough shape had to stay behind.
Enjoy your hunt, there is nothing like hunting elk in the Rockies.