Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Share your best elk hunting tips >

Share your best elk hunting tips

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Share your best elk hunting tips

Old 12-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Share your best elk hunting tips

I hope to go elk hunting in 2006. I know there are some very knowledgable elk hunters that frequent this Big Game Hunting thread. Share your best elk hunting tips with me please! Below I provide what details of my hunt plan that I have elaborated to this point, in case you want these details to condition your advice. If its too much detail, just ignorethe excess information. I appreciate any advice you can share.

My general plan is to hunt cow elk Colorado second rifle season (about October 15-21, I think) in a wilderness area. I will backpack about 2.5 miles into the wilderness area and establish a base camp at about 10,500'. I will hunt out of this base camp further inside the wilderness boundary. There are a series of three canyons that I have been advised are promising elk hunting areas. This advicecame from email exchanges with a hunter who has hunted in this area more than once in the past and calls to a Colorado Fish and Game biologist for the area (this title may not be the correct title). I plan to hunt between tree line at about 12,000' down to about 10,500' (unless late information leads me to revise this plan). If I take a cow elk, I intend to bone out the meat on the spot and be prepared to pack out the meat in about three trips (approximately three 50 LBS loads). I will have a solid pack frame to carry the meat contained in heavy canvas game bags. I plan to use a .30-06 shooting 180 grain bullets. I will do my due diligence practicing on the rifle range before the hunt. In the past I have felt confident shooting at 200 yards, more nervous at 300 yards, on deer/antelope sized game. For elk sized game this range can extend because of the large vitals of elk versus deer/pronghorn, but I'm not planning any real long range hunting. I am an experienced backpacker and have backpacked in this particular wilderness area at these elevations, but not at this late time of year and not in this particular corner of the wilderness area. I'm aware of the physical demands and will do what I can to condition myself. I plan to do a family vacation in August in this general area and backpack in for an overnight at my planned base camp area during this trip. This will give me some feel for the area that I can't get just reading the topo maps.

I plan to be prepared to bivouac out overnight if it seems like a good idea -- for example if I spot elk too late in the day to approach them at that time, or if I find that too much time is wasted returning to base camp and then climbing high to start the day's hunt. Harsh weather would probably incline me to return to base camp and a cold weather sleeping bag.

Where I need the most advice, I think, is in methods of finding the elk. I plan to get up high -- about tree line I suppose -- and look for elk with binoculars. I have Nikon Monarch 8x 40 mm binoculars. After this glassing, failing spotting elk, I would plan to drop down and move through the timber trying to find elk. I would probalby try to move quickly to cover a lot of ground until I find some sign of elk. I've read that often you can smell elk and then slow down and try to approach them cautiously. I've read that if elk are moving they make a lot of noise and you can follow them up quickly making your own noise and they probably won't hear you. I would work through one side of a canyon and then work the other side of the canyon. What I've read says you have to find the elk before you can hunt them and that you may need to cover a lot of ground before this happens, so you can't move at a snails pace being very quiet and stealthy or you may well run out of time -- the second rifle season is a week long -- before you find the elk.

My topo maps show some water holes which may or not be filled with water, given the ongoing drought in the west. If there is water in these water holes I may consider concealing myself by a pond if there are indications elk are using the water hole. Then again this sign may be weeks old and the elk won't return for another several weeks if at all that season. Any comments on the profitability of lurking around a water hole?

I am doing a cow elk hunt because it is cheaper than a bull elk hunt and because I assume my odds of bagging a cow are higher than bagging a bull. I am a first time elk hunter. What I read suggests that the odds are against my success, and I accept that. I view this trip as primarily a learning experience. I don't mind learning how to hunt elk in the school of hard knocks. Worst case I'll be in beautiful country and know more about elk hunting when I return than before I went out. I have considered hooking up with an outfitter, but from what I read hunters can fail using outfitters too. I like to do things for myself and control my own destiny. I know that if I can make this method of hunting succeed for me-- backpacking in on my own, without an outfitter -- that I will find this more rewarding than hunting with an outfitter. I am not a trophy hunter and do not measure the success of my hunts by the size of the horns I go home with.

I know that heavy snow can fall in this area about this time of year, which would force me to revise my plans dramatically, perhaps just throw away my cow tag. I'm not going to attempt to slog around on footin 3' of snow up in the mountains.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Share your best elk hunting tips

..Lots of rope,,carry lots of rope.

..Thats all i got to say about it.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:27 PM

It may seem obvious, but whatever the situation do your best to not let the elk know they are being hunted. Odds go way down after that happens.

If I was after a cow I'd try to shoot one close to the road. Meat usually comes out in much better condition.

Also agree with the rope idea. Make sure its fairly stout.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:38 AM
Fork Horn

Here are a couple tips.
If you have a problem locating elk. Bring a bugle and see if you can get a bull to answer at nite. Don't bugle back. This will give you an idea where to scout the following morning. The odds are that there will be cow elk close to the bull.

You may want to plan on packing out more meat per load. Cow elk can be very large. I had to quater out a decent spike elk. I'll guess that if the meat had been boned out the total weightwould bearound 180-190lbs.There are many more experiened elk hunters on this forum than me, so hopefully they can give you additional tips. Good luck!!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:37 AM

practice your shooting skills and get in shape.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds to me like you've done your homework!! I think your game plan is solid. Just execute the thoughts you shared & you'll have a great time!!!

ElkNut1
Old 12-19-2005, 04:18 PM

Sneak around in the woods until you find elk. Thats my technique!
Old 12-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd plan on not going so far from a road for a cow. Our group has shot a bunch of cow elk and many of them were well within a mile of a road!! Unless you really just want to hunt at tree line or above, I would look lower. By 2nd season, they should be found at lower elavations, so why make it any harder than it has to be, especially if inclement weather moves it. Ya might want to have a plan B, as far as location goes!!

Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 PM

the wind direction is of critical importance. elk might hear you and let it go. elk might see you and let it go. if elk smell you, they go! i bowhunt co every year. many times i have awaken to snow at 8500ft. be prepared for the white stuff. good hunting.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:51 AM

I'm not sure about colorado, but by oct 15th here the rut is winding down, so bugling will be minimal. Snow is your best friend for hunting elk. It pushes them into the openings later in the day, and distracts them while they feed because they have to paw through it, which also burns up energy. Hunting elk in timber is a real art form. Get a set of 8x32 binos. Move VERY VERY VERY slowly. When you think you are moving slowly enough, move slower. Take three or four steps, then stop and scan the timber, then crouch down and scan the timber again. You are looking for a leg, ear, an off color. Elk pick up movement, and all you will hear is a bunch of crashing if they bust you. A lot of times elk will bed where they can look for a long ways down hill, so you'll have luck coming in from above them as they feed up. Good places to lookare pockets of dark timber, not necessarily downfall but fairly thick, above openings where elk feed at night.

Quick Reply: Share your best elk hunting tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.