HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about APP
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:57 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question about APP

I heard a claim you can prime a flinter with it and with Pinnacle. When I got my Pinnacle powder I tested it extensively. What I discovered is, you can shoot Pinnacle which is really so close to APP in consistency I feel, they should be called the same. I used it as a main charge and as a primer charge. And the company's claim that it will work in a flintlock is true. They just fail to tell you that it does not work all that well.

You're wasting you time if you think you are going to get fast ignition with APP or Pinnacle as a main charge and definitely as a primer charge. The hang fires, and misfires were terrible. The number of non fires at all lead me to believe this was not the way to go.

I will say, if you duplex the load, meaning, dump 10 grains of Goex down the barrel first then the APP or Pinnacle, and use Goex as a primer powder, you got a lot better results.This if course kind of defeats the purpose of using a clean powder in a rifle when you have to duplex with one of the worst powders for fowling.

With all the testing I did with a flinter and different powders I came to one conclusion. If you want to shoot a flinter, then shoot black powder. It is the one sure way you can be assured that you have a good chance of a fast lock time and faster ignition.