HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here!
Old 12-17-2005, 03:57 PM
JagMagMan
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here!

I feel your pain! There's two kinds of shooters in this world, ones that missed, and ones that are gonna miss! I've watched trick, and competition shooters who've practiced the same shot ten thousand times miss!
That said, back toMY buck fever; 4 years ago, I missed a short shot at a buck crossing an old logging road, going into an over-grown clearcut! I looked really well, and after determining that I missed, I climbed back onto my stand. Within a few minutes, to my left I saw a very nice buck crossing another lane at about 100 yards. When I got in position to shoot, he turned broad side to me, and was about tostep out of sight, into a line of woods. At the shot, he went head-over-heels! I knew for sure that he'd be laying dead,just inside of the woodline, out of my sight! When I got there, NOTHING! I did a very thorough search. Again, the SECOND miss of the morning! I saw that the reason that he flipped was because his front legs were in very soft mud, and he just lost his footing jumping!
After getting back on the stand for a third time, I saw the biggest cow-horned spike I'd ever seen, walking straight down the logging road! He was the biggest buck, body-wise that I'd ever seenin that area! I watched him walkup the road through my scope, andNEVER pulled the trigger! He finally turned, and walked off into the brush!
After that hunt, while playing it all over again in my mind, sitting in my easy chair, a light went off inmy head! I was HOLDING my rifle wrong, and jerking the trigger! I haven't missed another shot in three years since!