Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here! >

Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here!

Old 12-17-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here!

I’ll start...it was my first season I hunted deer, (I think, or maybe second). I was 13 years old. This six point came by broadside at 25 yards. Missed him 3 times while he stood there and laughed at me. No blood nothing. I couldn’t believe it. That’s hunting. Haven’t missed in a long time since then until this year. Just so happened to be a another 6 running across an open field broadside at 70 yards. Couldn’t believe I missed that. Lead him to much I’m sure, just didn’t take my time and think about the shot, oh well…
Old 12-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here!

BUCK FEVER?, I get it every time i see a deer. wether it be a Buck, doe, big or small.
Doesn't matter, i feel my heart rate and breathing jump every time.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

BJR, why are you shooting at running deer? Just curious.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:40 AM

lol...I here ya Whisp. I used to have that problem, just remember to breath and always squeeze the trigger as you are letting your breath out. But my heart still skips a beat when I see them bigguns!

Oh boy early_in are you gonna make me justify shooting at that deer running and tell this story again. He was gut shoot by another hunter and came on to our land. They(2-6-8 pointers)snuck up on my Dad from behind, grunted at him and took off running. My Dad noticed a limp in the one so he went over the spot 30 feet behind him where they were and found a gut shot blood trail. He called me over and we began to trail him. No sooner did the hunters who hit him show up w/o guns. Very nice guys, they told us to go gettem and we gave them directions back to where they came from. We finaly jumped him in the hedge and he broke out into the open field on my side. I wanted to make sure he was the hit one so I hesitated for a moment but then I seen his blood soaked hide. Plus I wanted to make sure he was completely in the other direction of my Dad. I got a few shots off but missed. He eventually went on to other property, unfortuately the guy who owned that property was an a**. So now that deer will go and die and will make a meal for the cyote's. Does that satisfy you early, or am I "unethical"?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok to start out. I've shot at a running deer and hit them where I've aimed granted it was only twice. If your a good shot and your confident you can make the shot, shoot.

Oh Ya my story sorry, It was the 2000 season. I had just parked my truck and started walking across this field to the woods. As I'm coming up to the woods I see this white tined buck running towards me from down off a ridge. I kneel down and wait for him to come out into the field. He runs out and stops 40 yds away. I raise my shotgun and fire all the shells I had at the STANDING deer. I miss everytime. With out any shells left he walks away. I couldn't believe it. My gun wasn't off either. Just a really back case of the buck fever. This buck if I could guess was a ten pt the probably would go 135 B&C.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Year before last I was hunting on my small farm In SD. It was the last day of season and I was in a ground blind on the edge of a winter wheat field. Down by my north fence line I saw the sun glint off something and checked it out with my spotting scope. It was a hugh Mule deer buck. He had massive horns with five points on each side and about 34 inch spread. I took one about this size quite a few years back with a 33 inch spread and I could see this one was a bit bigger. Anyway I just had one doe tag left so I watched him and the area to see if a big doe might be comming along. He worked his way up close to my stand as I watched him with my scope. Well a doe did come up and although this buck was not one that got away, he did walk away. Maybe next year. I didn't see him this year

My Buck fever story though goes like this. It was the first or second year that I hunted deer. I was walking a draw on out ranch. I came up on this little side draw and as I walked over the top and looked down, there stood a big whitetail Buck. He was looking away from me so I got down on my knee and took ami. I squezzed the trigger, harder and harder the gun would not fire and he finally saw me and trottted off. The gun was on safe!!!
Old 12-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Missed a 6 point twice at less than 15 yards one year. It was at that point I reallized I didnt need a 4x12x50 scope for the kind of hunting I was doing...lmao. I did manage to breath on the scope and fog it up before shooting one this year though after banging the barrel on a tree
Old 12-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel your pain! There's two kinds of shooters in this world, ones that missed, and ones that are gonna miss! I've watched trick, and competition shooters who've practiced the same shot ten thousand times miss!
That said, back toMY buck fever; 4 years ago, I missed a short shot at a buck crossing an old logging road, going into an over-grown clearcut! I looked really well, and after determining that I missed, I climbed back onto my stand. Within a few minutes, to my left I saw a very nice buck crossing another lane at about 100 yards. When I got in position to shoot, he turned broad side to me, and was about tostep out of sight, into a line of woods. At the shot, he went head-over-heels! I knew for sure that he'd be laying dead,just inside of the woodline, out of my sight! When I got there, NOTHING! I did a very thorough search. Again, the SECOND miss of the morning! I saw that the reason that he flipped was because his front legs were in very soft mud, and he just lost his footing jumping!
After getting back on the stand for a third time, I saw the biggest cow-horned spike I'd ever seen, walking straight down the logging road! He was the biggest buck, body-wise that I'd ever seenin that area! I watched him walkup the road through my scope, andNEVER pulled the trigger! He finally turned, and walked off into the brush!
After that hunt, while playing it all over again in my mind, sitting in my easy chair, a light went off inmy head! I was HOLDING my rifle wrong, and jerking the trigger! I haven't missed another shot in three years since!
Old 12-17-2005, 05:13 PM

This year Oct 28. It was 5:30 pm and I started grunting, and this lil spike buck came from behind me. I was getting ready to take a piss and I saw these does coming across the field and i put my picker back in my pants. Then I did some more grunting. Then about 5 mins later thes buck comes across the field and he gets about 40 yards and starts to enter the woods and I grunted to him and he ran off the spike buck. He then came about 20 yards and I couldn't get a shot then he enters the woods and I draw on him and the arrow falls off the string. The arrow is not resting on the rest and the sight. I let down and the buck is behind a tree. I get the arrow back on the string and draw again and lung him at 15 yards. How he didn't hear or see me I don't know but it was the first buck I took with my bow. He ended up scoring 117 3/8. For 16 years old and my second year of bow hunting I can't complane.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:05 PM

I had a ML not fire on a good buck once! Now I make sure I change the powder charge before each hunt!

Quick Reply: Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.