HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here!
Old 12-17-2005, 03:30 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Buck Fever_the ones that got away...post your stories here!

Year before last I was hunting on my small farm In SD. It was the last day of season and I was in a ground blind on the edge of a winter wheat field. Down by my north fence line I saw the sun glint off something and checked it out with my spotting scope. It was a hugh Mule deer buck. He had massive horns with five points on each side and about 34 inch spread. I took one about this size quite a few years back with a 33 inch spread and I could see this one was a bit bigger. Anyway I just had one doe tag left so I watched him and the area to see if a big doe might be comming along. He worked his way up close to my stand as I watched him with my scope. Well a doe did come up and although this buck was not one that got away, he did walk away. Maybe next year. I didn't see him this year

My Buck fever story though goes like this. It was the first or second year that I hunted deer. I was walking a draw on out ranch. I came up on this little side draw and as I walked over the top and looked down, there stood a big whitetail Buck. He was looking away from me so I got down on my knee and took ami. I squezzed the trigger, harder and harder the gun would not fire and he finally saw me and trottted off. The gun was on safe!!!