HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - fist time to yote hunt
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 07:38 AM
psychmonky

Default RE: fist time to yote hunt

Put on your turkey camo, including your facemask. then play the wind just like you would with a deer. Coyotes are smart and can be tricky to hunt but be patient. I like to hunt a setup for about 30 min. before moving to another location. As far as calls go, an electronic caller is certainly the easiest to use and it has the advantage of taking the focus off of you. They are expensive though. A mouth call like the Circe cottontail or the Primos Lil'dog works well, but the closed reed design of the Circe makes it easier for the beginer.
I don't know about TN but in Missouri, We can't use lights unless we tree furbearers with thew aide of dogs. Since you can't tree a coyote, lights are out of the question. If there is snow on the ground, and a full moon, you can usually see well enough to hunt them at night. I personally have the best luck at dawn and dusk but i've shot them at all times of the day. The important thing to realize is that coyotes are oppertunists. When they here the dinner bell they will usually come in. You just have to hunt where they are. Look for tracks and droppings and for food sources like rabbits and quail and mice. Be ready; they can come in fast sometimes.
I think that was a good first post so I'll leave it there.
Shoot Straight