HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - am i INSANE
Thread: am i INSANE
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 06:58 AM
MassBowhunter
Fork Horn

Default RE: am i INSANE

Heck no. While I don't do the first three things you mentioned I do partake in the latter. It helps me from slipping into the "hunting coma" as I describe it. You know, when you get to that point when you've been on stand so long that you just zone out and your alertness drops off signifigantly. Usually that's when a deer just "appears" in front of you presenting the perfect shot but he'slooking right at you and your gun/bow is in your lap.

One thing I do that's similar to your snorting and shaking of the bushes is walk heel toe, heel toe to sound like a 4 legged animal when it's not possible to be completely quiet. If you really force the issue of planting your heelthen toe to create the noise you'd be amazed at how much you can loose the "human" aspect of your walk. Learned it years ago from some video about moose hunting and it seems to work. As long as the wind is in my favor I've walked up on deer that seem to be waiting for a fellow deer to pop out of the brush. Or I just think it works and the deer would be there anyway.