HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY Conservation Officers
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Bill Yox

Default RE: NY Conservation Officers

I think you make an excellent point. To talk to any CO, theyll reluctantly tell you that the dept is so mismanaged right now. Its a combination of things, really. We have an acting commissioner, public sentiment (why, I dont have a clue!) and many other factors. I sure wouldnt know how many they WOULD need though, as theres enough going on out there to warrant an officer literally for every neighborhood.

The COs are reluctant to persue certain complaints until they have, basically, a smoking gun. They have learned through experience that unless they have ALL evidence, and nearly an airtight case, the system wont back them up to the extent it takes to keep someone from beating the charge. Recall the guys arrestedshooting atthe deer decoys, that basically said its NOT illegal to shoot a stuffed deer! Nowadays, the officers make sure the offender is shooting across the road, on private property that the landowner will prosecute, etc. Then theres that word intent...

I try to keep in good standing with the COs I know, as theyre the guys who are at the front, and take all the flack for the dept. I guess I wonder, what IS the solution? Is there even a valid answer?