HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:19 PM
spde911

Default RE: Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?

I'd have to agree with some of the others on this forum. I wouldn't go out until you are confident in your shots. This is only my second year of bow hunting. I practiced for about 3-4 months before I went out my first year. I agree with needing to have a min. of 3" groupings at 20-30 yards, perferably further. After practicing a lot both from the ground and from a tree stand, I can group my shots at 20 yards in the size of about a half dollar piece and not much different at 30 yards. At 45 yards they are all within about a 4-5" circle (all in the kill zone), but I probably wouldn't take a shot at 45 yards unless all the conditions were just perfect and I was sure of the distance and everything. I like to get them in 30 yards or closer. I've only killed one deer so far with a bow and he was about 20 yard mark. He only ran 30 yards from the place I shot him and I watched him go down. There's nothing like bow hunting and it's a great feeling to get your first deer with a bow. Good luck and practice, practice, practice!