HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st Buck with my Martin Hunter
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 08:56 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 1st Buck with my Martin Hunter

It's not normal, with everything set up right and no bones hit. A 55# bow should at the very least get an exit wound, if not a pass-through, on a deer. Look at the ho gpic on the "enough poundage" thread. I know a lady in PA that got complete penetration (broadhead came out the far side, but the arrow didn't pass completely through and fall out) on a record book gemsbok pulling less than 50#. Another fellow I know shot through two carribou (not at the same time)with his 55# longbow. Yet another sent me pictures of a black bear he shot with his 50# recurve--the guide estimated that bear to weigh at least 600#, and he got a complete pass-though on it, including the off-side leg.

Sometimes weird things happen--I've gotten over 7.5" of penetration into the dirt after passing through (and nicking two ribs)a 165# or so deer (could have shot through two deer) with my 66# longbow, and I've had arrows stay in rabbits with an 82# longbow (field points).

Not sure just what is happening, but I'd think you would be passing through the deer easily.

Chad