Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 1st Buck with my Martin Hunter >

1st Buck with my Martin Hunter

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

1st Buck with my Martin Hunter

Old 11-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st Buck with my Martin Hunter

I'm an old compound shooter who just made the switch to a recurve last year. With many hrs. of practise before I started hunting,I was able to harvest 2 nice does last year using a PSE Coyote.
This spring I purchased a 55lb Martin Hunter and it feels good in my hands andI really enjoy shooting this bow.
Ilike hunting with the recurve, but I miss the pass through shots I got when using my compound bow. On the 3 deer that I've harvested, I have yet to get a pass through. Ithink that I would have had a pass through on my buck, but it was a quartering away shot and the broadhead hit the inside shoulder.All of my shots have been 15yds. or less.and "yes" my broadheads are sharp.....100gr. Magnus Stingers
I'm thinking that I need to hunt from the ground to get a better angle to help me punch through.
Any tips appreciated.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1st Buck with my Martin Hunter

Congrats on the buck, sounds like you put a great shot on him! Of course you can't expect a complete passthru if ya hit the off-side shoulder, but that's a lethal hit everytime! I gotta hunch....at the hit did he kick his back legs up like a rodeo bronc? - Man I love when they do that!!

As foryour arrow penetration, something odd is going on there. [:-]55#should beplenty for passthrus on deer, especiallywith 15yd broadside shots &sharp 2 blade brd-hds. How clean is your arrow flight? Have you bareshaft tuned your rig? Getting a good full draw?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

arrowsmit,
"Yes" I've tuned shooting thru paper, but not using bare shafts. I'm shooting Easton XX75 2018's w/feathers, off the shelf.
The two does I took last year with the PSE, I came very close to passing through, and both were shot from treestands. One went down with'n sight,less than 30yds.and the other doe didn't go 100yds. The PSE was suppose to be a 55lb @ 28", but when I checked it on my scale I was getting less than 50lbs.
It's been awhile since I shot the Martin through my chrony, but if I remember correctly I was getting about 185fps. with the 2018's. The Magnus Stinger is the 4 blade version.
I'm just concerned that if I have a marginal shot that's not a pass through, my blood trail will be skimpy and that I might loosea deer.
I don't know ofany other recurve shooters in my location that I can pick their brains from their experiences. That's why I decided to try this forum.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

I came very close to passing through, and both were shot from treestands.
The broadhead exited, but the arrow didn't, right?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

arrowsmit,
"no" the broadhead went through the body cavity only andnever made it through the hide....no exit hole. [&o]
From an elevated positionand taking quartering away shotsyou have more body to go through.I'd like to have an exit hole for better blood trails.
After shooting 3 deer with a recurve, I'm disappointed. I was just wondering if this is normal for a recurve or not. Maybe I should shoot broadside shots only?
You asked if I come to full draw and "yes" I feel that I do when it comes time to make that shot on a deer.
I'm some what thinking of buying an Oneida Eagle for more Kinetic Energy. It's been years since I shotan OneidaandI remember them being smooth and fast. I don't think at that time, they were very reliable though.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:56 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's not normal, with everything set up right and no bones hit. A 55# bow should at the very least get an exit wound, if not a pass-through, on a deer. Look at the ho gpic on the "enough poundage" thread. I know a lady in PA that got complete penetration (broadhead came out the far side, but the arrow didn't pass completely through and fall out) on a record book gemsbok pulling less than 50#. Another fellow I know shot through two carribou (not at the same time)with his 55# longbow. Yet another sent me pictures of a black bear he shot with his 50# recurve--the guide estimated that bear to weigh at least 600#, and he got a complete pass-though on it, including the off-side leg.

Sometimes weird things happen--I've gotten over 7.5" of penetration into the dirt after passing through (and nicking two ribs)a 165# or so deer (could have shot through two deer) with my 66# longbow, and I've had arrows stay in rabbits with an 82# longbow (field points).

Not sure just what is happening, but I'd think you would be passing through the deer easily.

Chad
Old 11-25-2005, 09:57 AM

Nice buck,congrats.I had that problem also,my arrows were 2413 with a 2 blade bear head.When I changed to a 4 blade the problem was resolved.I would guess the shot angle also had alot to do with the pass-through but even on broadside deer the arrow seemed to run out of gas.I think a 4 blade will fix you up too.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

recurver67,he says above thathe's shooting four-blade heads. Something odd is going on here...you should be getting passthrus w/55#. Hard to say w/out "being there"....

Old 11-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, can't help you with the pass thru issue, but I just wanted to congradulate you on the buck. He's a nice one. Nice shot too!

Congrats again!!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:46 PM

Thanks Arrowsmith,when I heard of the problem the lightbulb went on.My only other guess is get a arrow with more back bone,maybe a 2114 or heavier.I had the problem with the fatter 2413's and I changed to a 3 blade muzzy.You might try given your string a few twists also.Good luck

Quick Reply: 1st Buck with my Martin Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.