HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Moutain Lion in Western NY?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 11:44 AM
BChunter1961

Default RE: Moutain Lion in Western NY?

i live in allegany Co. NY , late Aug. 6:30ish pm, woodchuck huntin with 14yr. old. it's hot out he'd played all day , sweaty ,smelly,he want's to sit alone by a round bale, about 150yds away.
can't sit still , 15 min. walkin back to me by my van as i watch his hunt.
he gets 10yds. from van ,then!!!!!!!!!!, i spot something moving on a ditch line(uncut hay on ditch , cut hay on both sides of ditch ) that runs into a thick woodlot. put the binocs on the area , think i see poss. bobcat,seen them before no big deal, then cousins 2 dogs show up checkin wooddy hole , then movement in the ditch comes closer to the cut hay field,still can't confirm what's there, suddenly a adult WOLF ,yes WOLF, comes out of the woods into cut field, goes 20ydish ,he spots the same movement i'm seeing!!! wolf suddenly bolts away from the movement, tail between legs,and cleared out of that field in a heart beat!!!!!!! meantime dogs work up towards ditch. then the movement put it's head out of the uncut hay.yell to kid, get in quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there's a mountlion on the ditch!!!!!!! the cat was watchin the dogs, but the dogs finally see my van and start running down to see me .( the dogs just love to see me???)
the cat moves back into the hay , gone, (they blend very well in dead hay)about 30sec. later , cat moves into cut field on other side of ditch,stalking,slow and low,lifting his head to smell the wind ,crawlin right to the bale the kid was just at!!!!!!!!!!!! still slow crawlin, smellin , HUNTING , gets to bale , loses the kids scent, comes out of stalk mode and starts to move out across cut field in a gallop. best i could i made a cat growl , cat stops on a dime, looks all around, starts movin kinda sideways, lookin back my way, i call once more , cat stops , looks around again, then just took off to the woods on other side of field.(about 4 min.total )
got home called NYSDEC, asked lots of ques. , they said , we never released wolves or big cats!!! i said to them, that's what you said about the cyotes and look at the prob. with them !!! then i hit 'em with lower lic. sales, higher deer pop., (insurance) deer collisions claims. i told them they won't admit introducing these deer prayin animals so they won't be liable after someone gets attacked, then they said we'll have our superviser call and talk to you. they never did!!!!!!!!
5 days later cat was spotted by highway dept. employee 'bout 3 miles away.

don't beleive if you don't want to , but in the last 2yrs spotted 5 wolves , and yes i do know the diff. between cyotes,or coydogs, and a wolf!! HAD WITNESSES ON ALL SIGHTINGS,ONE A LONG TIME TRAPPER!!!

remember; THE HARDIST THING TO OPEN IS A CLOSED MIND !!! Cats
have a 150sqmil. range, and consume 1 adult deer per week on aver.

i've watched this site for 7mo. but this subject made me join to speak out!